"City of Amazing History & small cars" Rome by Bushman23

Rome Travel Guide: 12,091 reviews and 26,950 photos

First, our day by day account :)

Well, what can be said about Rome that people don't already know? Not much, to tell the truth. It's truly an amazing city though - never in my life have i been to any one place with this much history integrated into a modern, working society. We arrived only last night, and I've already been blown away by the magnificence of everything that surrounds us here. Walking from the Colloseum to the Vatican, and it's literally one landmark after the other, and all have been taken care of wonderfully.

So, day 2... We've just arrived back at our hotel (The Sheraton Roma), and I'm exhausted... Once again though, it's been brilliant. We spent the day exploring churches, starting with the Santa Maria Maggiore, passing through several others, and ended up attending Mass at St. Peter's Basilica, in the Vatican. The churches are magnificient, though if anyone want's some advice, maybe start with St. Peter's, as by the time we got there, all I really wanted to do was go home and have a nice cold beer.

Day 3... Today was a day for (you guessed it!) more history!! This time in the form of the Colloseum, the Foro Romana and everything connected to it. The colosseum is great, but it's one of those places that's best seen in the early morning or the late afternoon - it gets fearsome hot in Rome in the middle of summer! The Foro Romana area actually requires more time than the Colloseum, as it's a very big archeological area, but it's just as interesting as it's more popular neighbor. We also discovered maybe the best ice-cream shop in the whole world :), and had our first bad experience with Italian food :(

Day 4... Well, it's halfway through day 4, and we've kinda given up for the day... Spent the morning queueing, and then visiting, the Vatican. And what an amazing experience that is! So much history, so very well preserved, and brilliantly displayed. To be honest though, the Sistine Chapel itself makes it all worthwhile! But now we're knackered, every bit of our legs and bodies are aching, and it's time for a beer and a dip in the pool. Ciao for now!!

So, more about the people (and those cars?)

Italian's, in my humble opinion, truly live up to their stereotype of being a very Passionate people. From our first experience on the metro, where two local guys almost ended up in a fight on the train with a family with kids, to the way they provide service in restaurants and pubs. They seem to enjoy everything, even if it is in a misguided way :p

As for the cars, I've never seen so many Mini Cooper's, Smart Cars & Fiat 500's. I know it's because it's a big city with small streets, but I've lived in London before, and even there, big cars are popular (Maybe it's the "Mine's bigger than your's" culture though, who knows?).

And finally, what about that fabled Italian food?

Well, it, too, lives up to it's reputation. Our first night here we went for pizza, and for the first time in my life I ordered a simple Margharita pizza, no special toppings, just plain tomato and cheese. Guess what. Could quite well have been the best pizza I'd ever had in my life. Since then I'va had several other variants of course - Unfortunately not every place can be perfect, but I still Love most of them :)

As usual, see my tips for more info on each location, restaurant, event, and maybe some useful advice thrown in there as well :)

• Pros:Not too far to travel to get to any particular attraction
  • Cons:Seeing all attractions on one day is killing
  • In a nutshell:Must see, but give yourself more than 3 days!
  • Last visit to Rome: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2012

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Nice group of pages, fun to see how some things haven't changed at all. regards from the washington dc area

Bushman23

“"To the left there's a Bloody Big Bird!"”

Badges & Stats in Rome