"The Majestic Drakensberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg by Bushman23
Drakensberg Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 367 photos
I haven't been to the Drakensberg in almost a year now, but i feel a part of my soul will always be there! Those people who have lived and travelled in the mountains know how i feel i'm sure.
For natural beauty and awe inspiring views, the Drakensberg is a must see for any traveller to South Africa. From bushman paintings to Rivers & waterfalls, the mountains have it all.
Whether you want to hike to the top of the Amphitheatre, Cathedral peak, Sterkhorn or Champagne castle, the views are unrivalled anywhere in South Africa. The history also dates back hundreds of years, with the bushmen paintings depicting everything form hunting to the arrival of the white man.
The Drakensberg Tourism site is also quite informative if you want to have a look.
The most awe - inspiring thing about the Northern berg is obviously the amphitheatre. Down the face of this mountain pours the worlds second highest series of waterfalls, the Tugela falls! You can hike all the way to the base of the falls, or to the top of the falls.
The other hiking trails in the area are also amazing, and the hotels in the area provide every sort of accommodation, and almost any activity you need to keep yourself busy.
Possibly the most beautiful hiking spot in the world (personal opinion), here you can go on anything froma 1/2 hour to a 3 day guided hike up Champagne Castle, one of South Africa's highest peaks.
Spectacular golf courses are to be found in the region, chopper flips are available, and the accommodation is world class.
Although the Southern Berg is not as popular as the Central or Northern parts, it is definitely attractive in its own right. From the Sani Pass (an absolutely spectacular drive), to bushman paintings, horse riding and hang gliding, there is also an amazing amount on offer.
- Pros:Total tranquility
- Cons:Bit out of the way.
- In a nutshell:If you're tired of the city, this is for you!
Ok, just got back from spending the weekend at the campsite, and again i had the most fantstic time! The Self-catering... more travel advice
Well, the fact that its the highest pub in Africa is what makes it special! They have a decent choice of food, along... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Our Hlalanathi Trip - May 2004
Written May 9, 2016
Big 5 hike - September 2008
Bushman23's Related Pages
Drakensberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Majestic Drakensberg"
- ""THERE BE DRAGONS IN THEM HILLS THERE!""
- "uKhahlamba (The Barrier of Spears)"
- "KwaZulu Natal Drakensburg 'uKhahlamba'"
- "The Drakensberg Mountains"
- "Applying the Altitude Preservation Principle"
- "The majestic Drakensberg ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Drakensberg
- Hotels in Drakensberg
- Transportation in Drakensberg
- Nightlife in Drakensberg
- Restaurants in Drakensberg
- Shopping in Drakensberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Drakensberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Drakensberg
- 24 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Drakensberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Drakensberg
Photos in DrakensbergSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos