"The Siege town" Ladysmith by Bushman23
Ladysmith Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 31 photos
Although it may not be the most exciting town in South Africa, it carries a lot of history. Obviously it is mostly known for the Siege of Ladysmith, during the Boer war.
There are a couple of must see's if you're going to visit. The first is obviously the museum, which provides an interesting explaination of the course of the siege and the history of the town. Another is "the Hands" monument, about 5 km out of town. There are small entrance fees at both attractions.
Our town hall... Was hit by a shell during the boer war, which took half the tower away.
'The Oval' and 'Murchison Mall' shopping centers have almost any shop you could desire, so if you run out of anything on your travels, they are both in the center of town.
Although there is not much nightlife in Ladysmith, some of the restaurants are top class. The best one is probably 'The Guinea Fowl', which serves wonderful food (albeit at a rather high price) and offers excellent service, as well as having a lively bar.
- Pros:Great people
- In a nutshell:If you have any interest in History, you have to visit!
About 20 minutes drive from Ladysmith, Spioenkop is one of the areas oldest Nature reserves, and has a great variety of... more travel advice
The Oval used to be the towns cricket ground, set right in the center of town. Now, it is a pretty decent shopping... more travel advice
Bushman23's Related Pages
Ladysmith Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Siege town"
- "There are Smith's everywhere in South Africa"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ladysmith
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ladysmith?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ladysmith
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos