"The Province in the wilderness" Limpopo Highlands by Bushman23
Limpopo Highlands Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 52 photos
The idea behind our weekend away was to do a 2 day hike in the Magoebaskloof mountains, followed by a night in the Timbavati reserve next to Kapama Cheetah project. Outside of the hike though, nothing went to plan!
Ok, well the hike was pretty good, the first day we hiked 9km, up and down some lekker steep mountains. We were all a bit bushed at the end of the first day, and when we got to the cabin where we were spending the night, we found that it had been double booked... Anyway, we got through the night ok, but on the second morning it was discovered that no-one knew where the hike continued from!
So after a little bit of wandering around we decided just to follow the road, which was a lot of fun anyway. We eventually found the waterfall we were supposed to be at, and that's where the hike ended.
And then on Sunday night we ended up in the Timbavati, on a private game farm bordering the Kruger park. After a very relaxing game drive we spent the night in a cabin by the dam, hoping to see the big 5. Well, we saw buffalo, so that's at least 1 of the 5 hey? Other than that though we did also see giraffe, Hippo, crocodile and several buck.
The next morning the plans fell apart again, as everyone overslept, thereby missing the tour of the Cheetah rehabilitation center. And finally, to top it all off, Val's car bummed out on us, meaning we had to drive back to Pretoria in the dark (3 hours) with a lightless car following the BMW with working lights...
All in all though, everyone had a ball, and this area is definitely one that i will be visiting again, soon! To see more photo's of the trip, check out the travelogue, or my tips.
- Pros:Lush forests, beautiful mountains, wildlife
- Cons:Hot all year round, and Foot & Mouth disease is a threat
- In a nutshell:Wow!
If you driving in the less popular areas of the Kruger Park/Timbavati, drive in combe, or have all essential spare parts... more travel advice
Get a more peaceful look at the Big 5 by going to the Timbavati reserve. Although it is connected to the Kruger National... more travel advice
Bushman23's Related Pages
Limpopo Highlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Safari day 1"
- "The Province in the wilderness"
- "African Safari"
- "An overlooked province?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Limpopo Highlands
- Hotels in Limpopo Highlands
- Transportation in Limpopo Highlands
- Nightlife in Limpopo Highlands
- Restaurants in Limpopo Highlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Limpopo Highlands
- See All...
Explore the World
- Merritt Hotels
- Indian Rocks Beach
- Providence Canyon State Park
- North Carolina
- Aloha State Park Hotels
- Hekou Hotels
- San Sebastián Hotels
- Venhuizen Hotels
- Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Newport News
- San Jose
- La Paz
- El Rosario
- Ilha de São Miguel
- Sint Annaland Hotels
- Beau Vallon
Badges & Stats in Limpopo Highlands
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Limpopo Highlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Limpopo Highlands
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos