"Africa's leading Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria by Bushman23
Pretoria Travel Guide: 409 reviews and 742 photos
Tourism in Pretoria
Pretoria has always been a tourist friendly city, catering mainly for Mass tourism & Businessmen. However, backpacking has become increasingly popular in the last couple of years, and hostels are starting to spring up from nowhere.
Transport for backpackers to & from the airport can be provided by most hostels at reasonably cheap rates.
Pretoria is one of the biggest cities in South Africa, and is growing pretty damned fast! new shoping centers, business centers & Housing complexes are springing up all over the place. It has been South Africa's capital since SA became independant.
The pretoria district has been renamed as Tswane, to encompass some of the outlying area's, & there are still rumours that Pretoria's name may be changed to Tswane, which would be a terrible thing.
Pretoria University is one of the largest and most respected in the country. With over 45 000 students at its 3 campus's, student life is hectic. Several area's have become student hotspots as a result, such as Hatfield and Brooklyn.
The pubs generally close at about 4am, and many of the Clubs and Pubs have regular live music.
I have just discovered a very new site about Pretoria. It is still being built, but it looks pretty good already. Go to Purplecity and check it out.
- Pros:Beautiful & Diverse
- Cons:Crime in the city center
- In a nutshell:A must for backpackers!
This tip is based on the entire selection of outlets at Menlyn. Everything from Ice-cream vendors, take away joints,... more travel advice
Just down the road from the American Embassy, not too far from the Union Buildings, & within walking distance from... more travel advice
- Lock your Car!!!
- See All Local transport
- See All Jamaica in South Africa
Bushman23's Related Pages
Pretoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretoria - Capital of South Africa"
- "The Jacaranda City (at least for the time being)"
- "PRETORIA MY HOME TOWN............."
- "Beautiful Capital of South Africa"
- "Africa's leading Capital"
- "a brief stop in Tshwane, once k.a Pretoria"
- "Back in my home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pretoria
- Hotels in Pretoria
- Transportation in Pretoria
- Nightlife in Pretoria
- Restaurants in Pretoria
- Shopping in Pretoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Pretoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pretoria
- 18 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Pretoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pretoria
- updated a Pretoria Travel Page "Africa's leading Capital"
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: highlands for nine nights by..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Voortrekker Monument: History of South Africa"
- Commented on one of SiyaBonga's Pretoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review Menlyn's Food Mecca in Pretoria Restaurants
Photos in PretoriaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos