"Unforgettable week!" Sodwana Bay National Park by Bushman23
Sodwana Bay National Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 39 photos
We weren't even supposed to go to Sodwana on our holiday. We had arranged a house on the beach just north of the border, in Mozambique, and were so excited! 2 days before we left on our trip, the house burned down... After several emergency phone calls, during which the entire trip was almost cancelled, we decided to pack the cars and go to Sodwana, spur-of-the-moment kinda thing. The best holidays always seem to be the ones where all your plans go out the window :-)
We arrived at the Sodwana Bay campsite at about 8 in the evening, after delaying our leaving time by several hours (always happens when travelling with females), and a 6 hour drive. Luckily, getting there in the middle of the week meant the campsite was almost empty, providing us with our choice of site, and having the beach almost to ourselves for the first few days.
Well, what didn't we do!! We were on the beach almost every day, where our inner kids resurfaced :-) in the form of sand constructions... but not a castle, guess we were to old for that, so me and Holger built a sand-woman... and a bloody good one at that!!
Then there was the snorkelling, where we (I) was lucky enough to swim with a Whale Shark for a short time... until i started swallowing water because i forgot my lolly in my mouth :-p Later in the evening we sat on the beach with sundowners and watched Humpbacked Whales breach in the distance.
And finally, i cant forget the 3 1/2 hour Quad bike trip we took to Lake Sibaya! Absolutely brilliant! Flying across the dunes, almost wiping out 'cause you think you a natural born biker... :-)
- Pros:Great weather, beautiful scenery!
- Cons:Summer months are crowded
- In a nutshell:For something unplanned, absolutely brilliant!!
Anywhere on the beaches at Sodwana, be aware of drivers using off-road vehicles... some have to use the beach in order... more travel advice
If you're in Sodwana for peace and quiet, and a little relaxation, the main beach maybe isn't so great. Head down south... more travel advice
Bushman23's Related Pages
Sodwana Bay National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Divers Paradise of South Africa"
- "Unforgettable week!"
- "Sodwana Bay, KwaZulu-Natal"
- "Sodwana Bay - Kwa Zulu Natal"
- "Scuba in Sodwana"
- "Diving all day long!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sodwana Bay National Park
- Hotels in Sodwana Bay National Park
- Transportation in Sodwana Bay National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Sodwana Bay National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sodwana Bay National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sodwana Bay National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sodwana Bay National Park
- Posted in Travel Gdansk Forum "Re: How convenient to travel by..."
- Wrote a Review Idiot off-road drivers in Sodwana Bay National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of MikeAtSea's Sodwana Bay National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Secluded Beach and shell collecting"
- updated a Sodwana Bay National Park Travel Page "Unforgettable week!"
Photos in Sodwana Bay National ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 24 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos