"Half the Year Here................" Top 5 Page for this destination Skagway by lucythedog
Skagway Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 501 photos
...I am a lucky dog!! Skagway is one cool town. between May and Sept, Skag gets 900,000 tourists. Cruise ship numbers are on the rise, the independent traveller #'s are down a bit. Its the top of the Inside Passage..its where the cruise ships turn around.It is indeed a spectacular destination andnow I'm living here!!! The hiking is amazing...lots of places to 'no leash' for me...but lots to do for humans as well....world class shopping...world class excursions...you can helicopter to a glacier and take a sled dog ride...i'd like to be a sled dog...you can ride the exhilerating White Pass and Yukon Route train up to Canada...rafting, horsey riding, salmon bakes, historical guided trips..it has it all...I love Skagway...one of these years we will stay all winter long...the humans will need satellite TV and DSL, and I'll hopefully not have to wear one of those embarrasing sweaters. A newcomer is a 'cheechako'...if you spend a winter, you are a 'sourdough'. Its nice being away from the lower 48 for a while......
Skagway was born out of the last great gold rush of 1897-98...it was the jumping off point to the gold fields of the Klondike in the Yukon of Canada...
Look at me on my mountain...I love climbing AB mountain...what a view of the Lynn Canal!!! I rule...
A view from Mt Dewey over Skagway and the Lynn Canal
- Pros:Scenery, People, History, Glaciers, Hikes,Auroras
- Cons:9000 people all at once from cruiseships YIPES!
- In a nutshell:A beautiful strange little quirky town
Check out the amazing wildflowers in nearby Dyea...amazing Rent a car...get away from the cruise ship and see some color... more travel advice
The weather changes quickly here so expect anything!!! Raincoat, windbreaker, sweatshirt, fleece, T-shirts No hospital... more travel advice
- See All AMAZING food??...in Skagway?
- See All THE place to stay out of Skagway
- That Bell that's in every Alaska...
lucythedog's Related Pages
Skagway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skagway, Alaska"
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Skagway"
- "Half the Year Here................"
- "At the foot of the Chilkoot trail"
- "Skagway - Boomtown of the Klondike Gold Rush"
- "SKAGWAY, GOLD RUSH COUNTRY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skagway
- Hotels in Skagway
- Transportation in Skagway
- Nightlife in Skagway
- Restaurants in Skagway
- Shopping in Skagway
- Warnings and Dangers in Skagway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skagway
- 20 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Skagway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skagway
- Posted in Travel Salton Sea State Recreation Area Forum "driving around Salton sea from..."
- Wrote a Review Flowers in Dyea in Skagway Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "AMAZING food??...in Skagway?"
- updated a Skagway Travel Page "Half the Year Here................"
- Commented on one of Colewade's Skagway travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skagway Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos
- Big Sur Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oro Valley Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Carcross Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- United States of America Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos