"About the Dodecanese islands and Kos" Kos Island by Sencanka

Kos Island Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 544 photos

About the island

I will go in a month to Kos ,and I would like to write something about the Dodecanese islands and especialy about Kos.
When I come home , I will write much more -belive me this is just the beginning of the story . I will stay there a month so I will have more informations about it .

Like the rest of Greece, the Dodecanese islands have a long history - they have been inhabited since pre-Minoan times. Rhodes and Kos, still today the most developed islands of the group, had emerged as the dominant islands by the Archaic period.
Kos was a battleground from that time till 1947 when the Dodecanese were formally returned to Greece.

Kos, is one of the most beautiful islands of the Aegean Sea,lying in the centre of the Dodocanese chain,souteast of continental Greece and it is north west to Rhodes.Also it is the third largest island of the Dodocanese islands.
The shores of the islands are also washed by the waters of the Karpathian sea .The islanders are living from agriculture,fishing and tourism.
Kos,the home to Hippocrates is second only to Rhodes in its wealth of archaeological remains. It's also very touristy - most of its beaches are wall-to-wall with sun beds and parasols. Instead of fighting for a place in the sun, take in some history in the capital, Kos Town, enjoy the bar life and leave your sunbaking for quieter islands. In Kos Town, Hellenistic and Roman ruins are strewn everywhere.

The most obvious monument is the 14th-century Castle of the Knights, which dominates the town. There's also an ancient agora, the ruins of a Shrine of Aphrodite, Temple of Hercules and a 5th-century Christian Basilica, and much more besides. There's also an archaelogical museum.

The town of Kos

The capital of the island Kos is the town Kos and it is the town which is full with tourist from march till november. It is situated in the north east of the island .
The ruins brake the monotony so everybody come to see the beautiful beaches , cafees even the tourist are young or middle aged.
After the earthquake 1933 it was decided that they will improve the beauty of the town .New avenues of threes have been planted.
Care has been taken to blend the ruins ,Byzantine churches,minarets and biuldings from the italian period .
In the last years many modern hotels were biult like the Iberostar kompex -the hotels I was working .

If U want to go all around the island you can rent a motor. On this picture we are sitting at one . I must say that i really was everywhere so I am sending my regards to Eriko and his motobike !

JA SU !

• Last visit to Kos Island: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2006

• Mimmica's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Hvala za instrukcije za Kos, sve sam uredno iskopirala i primila k znanju :). Za 4 dana idem tamo pa sam samo htela da ti se zahvalim jer nema puno ljudi u BGD koji su bili tamo i koju mogu da daju korisne savete.

• pikuu's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Your descriptions let me know how charming is Kos. I spent there two weeks. It's not enough. big Thanx

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 3:18 AM

I will be visiting the ancient ruins soon. Thanks for the tips.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 6:15 AM

Lovely photo's and tips about Kos!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Superb pages Maja, we was in Kos Town last sep on a day trip from our hols in Bodrum and i fell in love with the place, hope to go back there in july

• Efrika's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 2:55 PM

wishing you an unforgettable stay in Kos and looking forward to your story! yeah, I would not mind to go all around the island on the bike :-)

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 10:12 AM

Great page so far, certainly looks like an exotic place to visit. Your an attractive crew to be travelling with!! Kudos to that. Cheers!

• R100S's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 12:07 PM

Ja su Majia, nice page and great article about Kos. I love Kos, i worked there for 8 years. to the bars street. thanks for you reminding to me. Take care a greetings Dimitrios

• Nov 18, 2004 at 4:44 AM

Ouaou!That's the feeling i have when im thinking Greek islands with 'mermaids' like you!Nice page!

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 7:30 PM

I'm sure that they were looking for such mermaids... Nice page!

Sencanka

“hey ... WHERE to go NEXT?”

Badges & Stats in Kos Island

Have you been to Kos Island?

Photos in Kos Island