"A place for aviation enthusiast" Dayton by terps94
Dayton Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 800 photos
Few days after I got back from my deployment I decided to drive to Dayton for R&R to visit some friends over Memorial Day weekend. I also wanted to check out the Air Force Museum located at Wright-Patterson AFB here in Dayton, the museum has vast collection of aircraft from the beginning of history of aviation to present aircrafts.
The first aircraft to return Vietnam prisoners of war to the United States arrived at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at 9:30 a.m. on May 6.
The C-141 “Hanoi Taxi” was the first aircraft to arrive in Hanoi in February 1973 to pick up the POWs returning to the United States. The “Hanoi Taxi” was one of several aircraft involved in repatriating more than 500 American POWs held by the North Vietnamese.
While this plane was in service it was a flying museum , on the troop oxygen panel all the POWs sign their names on this section of the aircraft.
courtesy of www.af.mil
This particular aircraft has special meaning to me since I have 18.9 hours on this airframe. When this C 141 was still in service I flew an aeromedical mission aboard this aircraft from Germany to Maryland. This plane has a capacity to carry up to 108 patients depending on the configuration. So when I heard that the "Hanoi Taxi" is being retired I knew that I have to make a trip to visit this old friend unfortunately when I got to the museum the aircraft wasnt on dispaly yet since they are still taking out some Comm equipment out. Since I have a military ID I was still able to driveto the hangar where it's park and snuck in a few pictures.
terps94's Related Pages
Dayton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dayton Ohio"
- "Dayton - Home of the Brothers Wright"
- "Dayton, Ohio"
- "National Museum of the United States Air Force"
- "Dayton: the city of my college years - GO UD!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dayton
- Hotels in Dayton
- Transportation in Dayton
- Nightlife in Dayton
- Restaurants in Dayton
- Shopping in Dayton
- Warnings and Dangers in Dayton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dayton
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dayton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dayton
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Philippine vt meet in january..."
- Wrote a Review A place to those who soar about National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place to those who soar"
- updated a Dayton Travel Page "A place for aviation enthusiast"
- Commented on one of Voyageuse30's Dayton travel pages
Photos in DaytonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okinawa Intro, 29 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Diego Garcia Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 6 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Djibouti Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Misawa Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Dayton hotel reviews
- Residence Inn Dayton North Ohio
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Holiday Inn Dayton North
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Microtel Inn & Suites Dayton/Riverside
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Motel 6 Dayton - North
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Marriott Dayton
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hampton Inn Dayton - South
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Crowne Plaza
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Dayton-University of Dayton
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013