"who is Diego?..you mean where is Diego Garcia?" Diego Garcia by terps94

Diego Garcia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 97 photos

In December of 2003 I was ask if I want to go to Diego Garcia..I said sure I got nothing better to do so off I went not knowing where is this island. I only heard about it so after 10 hr flight I landed in an island in the middle of Indian Ocean. This island is a territory of the United Kingdom and even though it is a beautiful island it is not open for any tourist.

Diego Garcia is a living coral atoll, the coral reefs and island are made up of trillions of living organisms. Once an ancient volcano, all that is left is the atoll surrounding a central lagoon. Thanks to its tropical location and heavy rainfall, the island is heavily vegetated with coconut palm and ironwood trees.

From the air, Diego Garcia takes on the rough outline of a footprint on the ocean surface -- thus its nickname "Footprint of Freedom". The island stretches 15 miles, north to south, and about 35 miles from tip to tip of its horseshoe shape. The interior lagoon is 13 miles in length and 6.5 miles at its widest point. The island has an area of 6,720 acres (roughly 10.5 square miles) with an average natural elevation of four feet above sea level. Lagoon depths vary from 60 to 100 feet with coral heads in all areas.

• Pros:Great fishing and awesome beaches
  • Cons:Tourist not welcome
  • In a nutshell:you feel like you are in Gilligan's Island
  • Last visit to Diego Garcia: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2004

• Feb 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Hello, I'm just looking for a Facebook friend from BOIT. I'd love it if you want to add me. Larry

• Oct 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM

The donkeys were left from when the plantations ran. They show signs of in-breeding, but nontheless are relatively friendly, especially when you're trying to have a picnic.

• ribalderosa295's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I want to thank you for sharing your wonderful photos where my husband work right now. I am also proud to tell you that one of those local band who played at the Brit Club is my loving husband.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Wow...big fishes caught. Great page of a less travelled place. Cheers from Penang island, SL :)

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Very nice Diego Garcia page thanks just like dinner in the white house Adobo ,Pancit and oh so tasty Lumpia

• scubaozgirl's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, that's kinda strange,,,,,rather jaws than a funnel web spider any day,,,,i got the creeps now LOL

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Hi Edgar, a fascinating insight into a place i suppose I'll never get to see. fergy.

• Jan 8, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Terps, I passed through there in 1988. I was blown away by its beauty then. Passed through again in '89. Thanks for having the pics.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 7:34 AM

I just heard about this place and thought I'd check out a few pages on it - what an amazing place!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2005 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for giving us an insight into Diego Garcia!

terps94

“the whole world is out there waiting to be discovered”

Badges & Stats in Diego Garcia

Have you been to Diego Garcia?

Latest Activity in Diego Garcia