"Petropolis - a cool break from Rio" Petrópolis by faeriegal
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
My husband and I are here now in Petropolis visiting a friend who lives here. It is much colder here than in Rio which is about a 30 minute drive down the mountain and is at a 1000 meter elevation (approx. 3000 ft.). It's very rainy and overcast since it's in the middle of summer, the rainy season (January). I mainly brought summer clothes because I thought the weather would be very hot. We are freezing up here. The beautiful architecture is Portuguese colonial style around 100 years old. The King of Portugal emigrated here when Napoleon threatened Portugal and the old royal family still resides here. It's very regal. There are waterfalls off the road as you drive up from Rio and it's very beautiful. I recommend visiting the area, even just for a day.
- Pros:History, reprise from the heat of Rio, architecture, high quality shopping at inexpensive prices
- Cons:Rainy and overcast - the weather
- In a nutshell:A stunning cool break from the heat of Rio
This place was beautiful! Built in 1944 by Joaquim Rolla, it was the largest casino-hotel facility in South America at... more travel advice
faeriegal's Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
Photos in PetrópolisSee All Photos (1)
Top 5 Pages
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Hilo 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rio de Janeiro 1 review, 2 photos
- Ushuaia 1 review, 2 photos
- Petrópolis Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
No friends yet.