"Mauritius" Mauritius by MFAMILY
Mauritius Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 278 photos
It surprised me why so many people chose this island for their weddings or honeymoons.
There are fine beaches, but to my likes, the best ones seem to be hidden by the top notch hotels. I stayed for 6 days only, so I wasn´t able to see much either. But I saw nice beaches spoilt with garbage and an awkward ard notion of architecture by the locals that visulay polute the green and blue landscape.
Who's fault? Is there anyone by the town halls that supervises what's going on? Besides the beach resorts and the waterfront Port Louis, there seems to be no care for what is being built. Lots of brick and cement, no paint or care to finish up. Or, one the other end, show-off kitch little mansions painted in bright colors with tons of wrought iron fences and windows.
And the roads? Don´t let yourself be mislead by my picture. Most of them are not is this shape. Apart from the airport to the resort areas on the west coast and Port Louis, where there are highways, you better plan on time, instead of Km. And take a good map. Signs are small, not always well placed, sometimes non-.existant. If you want to drive the roads less travelled, expect to take the wrong direction a couple of times.
Driving is an experience that can be dangerous at first. You will soon learn to forsee that the bus behind you will pass you no matter if another one is coming in the opposite direction.
This said, the island is lovely, with huge sugar cane plantations, lovely little islands like Ile aux Cerfs, mountains with superb views, forests... and very nice people.
PEM is a sculptor who has a small shop at Caudan Waterfront. He has already appeared on Air Mauritius inflight magazine,... more travel advice
MFAMILY's Related Pages
Mauritius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritius - A Colourful Island Paradise"
- "Mauritius Feb 2004"
- "The South of Mauritius"
- "île maurice"
- "august 19th-sept 3rd 2006"
- "Mauritius - the romantic island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritius
- Hotels in Mauritius
- Transportation in Mauritius
- Nightlife in Mauritius
- Restaurants in Mauritius
- Shopping in Mauritius
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritius
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mauritius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritius
Photos in MauritiusSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Hùsavík Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Prague Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Te Anau Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Wellington Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Hamilton Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Queenstown Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Tongariro National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Matamata Intro, 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahé Intro, 1 review, 6 photos