"Gagra - once the russian "Monte Carlo"" Gagra by civilian
Gagra Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
Gagra, located on ther black sea coast, between Socci and Sukhumi, used to be one of the favourite holiday destinations for the russian "nomenclatura" in the days of the soviet-union. In 1993 heavy fighting took place, between the Abkhas that where asking for intependence, and the georgians on the other side. After the fighting stopped, the country declared itself as independent, but it was recocniced only by very few states.
A embargo from the russian and georgian side where spoiling the industrie, depending heavily on tourist.
there are no digital pictures taken from me jet ( no scanner) on the page, but I tried to get some representing pics from the web.
There was only the posibility to post Gagra as a Georgian destination, and I know lot of the locals would not agree - sorry
Most people will enter Akasia via Psou border, close to Adler/ russia.
Then a nice coast road will get you to Gagra
Only a few meters after entering Gagra, you will see the former antrace to the beach on your right side.
In 1999, tourism was starting slowly, but only russians where alowed to pass the border, so all the beach was yours
- Pros:spectacular landscape, nice people
- Cons:tough live for the locals and a uncertain future
- In a nutshell:hope for a better future for this lovely place
2001 there was not much about taxis in Gagra, but some busses where running like a private buissness. I was blessed with... more travel advice
civilian's Related Pages
Gagra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gagra - once the russian "Monte Carlo""
- "Gagra before the war"
- "Gagra and Pitsunda tourist resorts"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gagra
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gagra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gagra
Top 10 Pages
- Germany Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lokichokio Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Rasdorf Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gagra Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Fladungen Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Meiningen Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Nordhausen Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Bad Langensalza Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Muhafazat Arbil 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.