"Welcome To williamstown" Williamstown by VTJohn

Williamstown Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

My Hometown

Well actually I wasn't born here but I've lived here for nearly 20 years. I think I know something about the town.

Williamstown is on Route 14 just south of Barre. If you plan to visit the granite quarries in Barre we make a good next stop. We are right on the way to the famous floating bridge in Brookfield.

Some History

Williamstown was nearly the home of the University of Vermont but lost out to Burlington. Norwich University also tought of locating here but chose Northfield, just over the hill. That the failroad also runs through Northfield was probably a factor in that decision.

Williamstown has a rich agricultural heritage. Barns and silos still dot its landscape. But fewer and fewer of thses are working farms as farmers are pushed off the land.

For more history be sure to visit the historical society on Main Street. It's open on the first Saturday of each month during the summer.

What to See

Spider Web Farm at the south end of town is our chief tourist attraction. Here you can see plaques and other items made from real spider webs. We also have the Weathered Barn Doll Museum where you can see over 5,000 dolls.

For lunch a stop at the Behind the Scenes Cafe is a must to meet the locals. You can trade views on politics with Richard, the owner. Dinner is best done at the Autumn Harvest Inn (also a great place to stay). Music, dancing and good time can be had at the Country Music Club, also on the south end of town.

• Pros:Typical Vermont town
  • Cons:only one lodging establishment
  • In a nutshell:It's a great place to visit
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2003

Comments

VTJohn

“It is as important to enjoy the journey as it is to reach the destination.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Williamstown

Have you been to Williamstown?

Latest Activity in Williamstown