"Best of Both Worlds" Top 5 Page for this destination Golden by DJChoragos

Golden Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos

Attractions, Man-Made

The Coors Brewery is the best around. The tour is fantastic and fascinating, and yes, ends with free beer (ice cold and very refreshing). Mostly unknown to non-residents is the Golden City Brewery, touted as the second largest Brewery in Golden. Their beer is fantastic and the atmosphere is excellent. I highly recommend a visit. As far as dining goes, no trip would be complete without a visit to Woody's Pizza. You must go. It's located right on Washington near the Golden Hotel. Before I moved here I stayed several times at the Golden Hotel (11th and Washington) and have never been disappointed. I also have friends who work there. Their happy hour burgers in the bar are fantastic, and really cheap.
Support my school and visit the Colorado School of Mines while you're here. The gift shop is located in the student center on 16th street. The campus is open, relaxed, and architecturally fascinating. The CTLM building on 16th street has won awards for its design. The green center across the street houses the Geophysics Department, ranked number 1 in the country, and one of the best in the world.
Denver is about 15 minutes away, Boulder is about 20, keystone, A-Basin, copper, all are about an hour away, and most other ski resorts are less than 2.
I'm restricted by space here, if you want to know anything else, email me, I love telling people about Golden.

Attractions, Nature

Every morning I wake up and look out my window at South Table Mountain. This mesa has an easy trail that starts at 18th street and winds its way up to the top. From Castle Rock you can see Denver, all of Golden, the front range, just about everything. If you enjoy sport climbing, North Table Mountain has dozens of sport routes up it's basalt caps (all bolted, a lot can be top roped with no lead climbing). The big 'M' on the side of Mt. Zion is for the School of Mines; each fall, the incoming freshmen class carries a rock per person from campus and puts it on the M. They then proceed to whitewash each other, I mean the rocks. If you're ever in town late August, stick around and watch us upperclassmen throw waterballoons and such at them. It's a great time for all. There is an excellent trail that goes to Windy Saddle between Zion (with the M) and Lookout (with all the radio towers). Chimney Gulch trail climbs from the base to the saddle and then splits into several (Beaver Brook being my favorite). At the top of Lookout there are such attractions as Buffalo Bill's Grave, the Nature Center, the Mother Cabrini Shrine, the Buffalo Herd Overlook, and a big mansion. I've never been to any of these, but I've heard they are interesting. There is also Apex trail that goes to the top of Lookout somewhere off Heritage road, but I've never taken it.
Clear Creek Canyon also has excellent sport climbs, right by tunnel 2. If you don't know they're there, they are kind of hard to find. Ask someone in the Bent Gate Mountaineering shop on 13th and Washington for directions.

• Pros:Coors, School of Mines, Proximity to Denver, Boulder, etc.
  • Cons:not a lot of nightlife for young people
  • In a nutshell:Golden, small town, big fun.
  • Intro Written Aug 6, 2003

• Jul 9, 2005 at 3:56 PM

Any website, book etc you could refer me too would be great or simply more info about the area would be greatly appreciated,

DJChoragos Lives Here!