"Salar de Uyuni" Uyuni by cybergenic
Uyuni Travel Guide: 299 reviews and 907 photos
We shopped around in San Pedro (Chile) for the best price for a 4WD trip across the Salar de Uyuni (Bolivia) San Pedro is on the border of Bolivia and it did not look like too much was happening on the otherside of the border. We rounded up some other backpackers who were interested in the trip and started bargaining. The more people you have the more bargaining power you will have.
After passing through Bolivian immigration (a tin shed in the dessert) we were quickly harrassed by a gentleman offering Bolivian currency exchange. Our guide said his rate was good so we changed some pesos and began our journey. I am still not sure if it was a good rate, but we had no alternative.
After an hour of driving through the dessert we got our first flat.
The next 3 days were amazing. We bathed in thermal pools, chased pink flamingoes, jogged on salt lakes, climbed strange rock formations in the dessert, walked around cactus islands and weird bubbling sulphuric pools of mud.
The days were hot and dry. The nights were razor cold. We stayed at refugios (tiny towns) in the dessert. They had generator electricity until 10PM and no running water. The meals were basic but filling.
- Pros:Surreal moonscapes, no pollution, no tourists
- Cons:Mechanical problems
- In a nutshell:Nothing else like it in South America
cybergenic's Related Pages
Uyuni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under the table in the Salar de Uyuni"
- "Uyuni Tour(3.650 m to 4.300m)"
- "Uyuni and Details for 4WD Tours North and South"
- "The Great Salar and Lagunas Tour"
- "EL SALAR DE UYUNI"
- "Uyuni and surrunding areas"
- "where tourists rules"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uyuni
- Hotels in Uyuni
- Transportation in Uyuni
- Nightlife in Uyuni
- Restaurants in Uyuni
- Shopping in Uyuni
- Warnings and Dangers in Uyuni
- See All...
Explore the World
- Adinkerke Hotels
- Corydon Hotels
- Pontian Besar
- Valona Hotels
- São Pedro do Corval Hotels
- Long Branch Hotels
- Backbone State Park Hotels
- Hepburn Springs
- Unalaska Island
- Province of Misamis Occidental
- Palm Bay
- Rigi Kaltbad
- Prefecture of Messinia
Badges & Stats in Uyuni
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Uyuni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uyuni
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 35 reviews, 40 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sydney Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Mosman Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Uyuni hotel reviews
- Hotel Takya de Sal
- 6 Reviews & Opinions