"Eltville - a beautiful village next to Wiesbaden" Eltville by Bamara
Eltville Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 22 photos
Eltville is a small village next to Wiesbaden. It`s the entrance-village of the famous "Rheingau" with all the great vineyards, old villages and wellknown Riesling wine. The last village of the Rheingau is the wellknown Rüdesheim.
This pictures shows the entrance gate of the "Kurfürstliche Burg Eltville", right on the waterfront of the river Rhein. The Kurfürstliche Burg was founded in 1330 by Balduin von Trier. He wanted to force the people to pay more taxes for business and transport on the river Rhein, but they refused. During the centuries a lot of owners have changed, destoyed and reconstructed the castle. The tower you can see on the picture was build in 1682 after the "Dreißigjähriger Krieg" (30 Year War).
Inside Castle complex of the Kurfürstliche Burg Eltville there is a beautiful rosegarden. The garden is created in a barock style with very rare roses. During May to June there is a wonderful smell around. Thousands of roses are smelling. There are around 350 different sortes of roses to view and to smell.
Behind the entrance you will get onto the castel complex. In the middle there is a very old tree and an 400 years old well.
On the picture you can see the chairs who were build up, when the "Eltviller Festspiele" (Open-Air Theatre" acts. I`m sure you can imagine how tremendous is the spectacle while sitting under the old tree in the middle of the castel complex. I have visited the Open Air Theatre perfromances for the last 5 years. They performed the classic theatre acts of Shakespeare, Heinrich von Kleist and others. Very good actors playing in simple decorations. The best decoration at all is the Kurfürstliche Burg itself. When the sun is going down you will have a unique performance. But you have to understand the German language, they don`t perform in English or any other language.
- Pros:Beautiful historical buildings and landscape
- Cons:dearth of parking spaces
- In a nutshell:the open air theatre during the summer season
The "Gutsausschank Gelbes Haus" is a small, but wellknown restaurant next to the castle complex. The offer regional red... more travel advice
Bamara's Related Pages
Eltville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rheingau - wine - and a famous Abbey :-)"
- "Eltville - a beautiful village next to Wiesbaden"
- "Alta Villa...of Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eltville
- Hotels in Eltville
- Transportation in Eltville
- Restaurants in Eltville
- Warnings and Dangers in Eltville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Eltville
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Eltville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eltville
- Posted in Travel Berlin Forum "Tourist trip by bus in Berlin"
- updated a Eltville Travelogue "Eltville am Rhein - my favorite impressions"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eltville am Rhein - my favorite impressions"
- Wrote a Review It isn`t easy to find a parking place in the cente in Eltville Warnings and Dangers
Photos in EltvilleSee All Photos (8)
Top 5 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hamburg Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Eltville Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bingen am Rhein Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos
- Wiesbaden Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos