"The city of The Pied Piper" Top 5 Page for this destination Hameln by Maria250
Hameln Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 223 photos
Around 851 the Benedictine Monastery Hameln was founded at the Weser river. The Imperial Abbey of Fulda having received the estate from a Saxon Count who had died without heirs or successors. Later the monastery developed into a collegiate convent. A market colony established nearby and was called civitas (town) for the first time around the year 1200. Hameln became known world-wide by the exodus of the Haemelschen Kinder (Children Of Hameln) in 1284 from which later on The Pied Piper's Legend developed.
From 1426 until 1572 Hameln was a member of the Hansa League. In the 16th century Hameln's rich merchants competed with the landed gentry and constructed splendid buildings in the Weser Renaissance style. Since 1664 Hameln was developed as the strongest fortress of the Hanoverian principality, finished in the end of the 18th century with the fortification of the mountain Kluet. The fortress was therefore known as the Gibraltar of the North. In 1808 Napoleon I. ordered the fortress to be destroyed thus allowing the town to expand. In 1867 Hameln became Prussian. wikipedia
The efforts of the true poets, founders, religions, literatures, all ages, have been, and ever will be, our time and times to come, essentially the same - to bring people back from their persistent strayings and sickly abstractions, to the costless average, divine, original concrete, a living and enthusiastic sympathy with Nature.
- Pros:Poetic atmosphere even in the grey and cold of Germany's December.
- Cons:Difficult to find parking spots.
- In a nutshell:Locals are pretty friendly though it's a Prussian place.
Restaurant Paulaner im Rattenkrug sits right on Hameln's pedestrian zone. We been there around Christmas and there for... more travel advice
The Municipal Museum is about prehistory, early historical period, domestic interiors, gold and silver, ceramics,... more travel advice
Maria250's Related Pages
Hameln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hameln - Home of the Pied Piper"
- "Pied Piper of Hamelin"
- "The city of The Pied Piper"
- "HAMELN & The story of the Pied Piper"
- "The Pied Piper of Hameln"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hameln
- Hotels in Hameln
- Transportation in Hameln
- Restaurants in Hameln
- Shopping in Hameln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hameln
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Hameln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hameln
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos