"Spot odd" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport News by Maria250

Newport News Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 100 photos

The city of Newport News Virginia is centrally located in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia, bordered on the west by the James River and on the south by Hampton Roads Harbor. Newport News is a perfect destination for those interested in maritime history as well as American military history, not to mention opera and fine arts - Newport News has it all. It's home to a variety of historical, cultural and leisure-time activities. If its maritime history you’re interested in, visit the Newport News Virginia Mariner's Museum that features over 800 model ship on exhibit & display of the USS Monitor ironclad battleship of the Civil War.

destination360.com/north-america/us/virginia/newport-news.php

As for me I landed midnight at Newport News/Williamsburg Airport where at that time of arrival no point, or person of service, were provided at all. A few other lady passengers trying to get to Norfolk, were lost like me. It took me an hour to get me a cab, then driving straight like endless on Warwick Blvd to a hotel which was probably like a one-night-cheap motel with no coffeemaker. A very kind lady behind a big weapons secured window did the check in procedure. Have never been in my intire life to such a spot, and was thankful I had DELTA, right the next dawn, helping me on shorten/re-arranging my complete Virginia stay, and got me on the next plane possible to Texas. Again, great folks at DELTA!

A dark street that follows like an arguement of insidious intent..to lead to an overwhelming question..oh, do not ask "What is it?"

..There will be time to wonder "Do I dare?"
..Time to turn back and descend the stair.. "Do I dare?"
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse..

The night sleeps so peacefully
..asleep.. tired..or it malingers,
stretched on the floor here beside me
Should I.. have the strenght to force the moment to its crisis?
But though I have wept and fasted, wept, and prayed..
I'm not a prophet - and here's no great matter..
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
and in short, I was afraid.

And would it have been worth it, after all..
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it forward toward to some overwhelming question..
Should I say: "That is not what I meant at all.
That is not it, at all."

And would it have been worth it, after all,
would it have been worth while,
after the sunsets and the dooryards and the sprinkled street..

-J.Prufrock

My bad I yet missed Virginia's great historic sites. Speaking about history,
May 1776, the Virginia Convention passed a motion instructing Virginia's congressional delegation to propose to that respectable body to declare the United Colonies free and independent States, absolved from all allegiance to, or dependence upon, the Crown or Parliament of Great Britain. In accordance with those instructions, on June 7, Richard Henry Lee of Virginia presented a resolution of independence to Congress.

The United States Declaration of Independence was a statement adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, announcing that the thirteen American colonies then at war with Great Britain were no longer a part of the British Empire. Written primarily by Thomas Jefferson, the Declaration was a formal explanation of why Congress had voted on July 2 to declare independence from Great Britain.

The Declaration grew over the years, most notably through the influence of Abraham Lincoln, who viewed the Declaration as an ideal for which the nation should strive, especially as expressed in Jefferson's famous preamble:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. wikipedia

• Pros:Virginia War Museum & many more of museums and historic sites.
  • Cons:Another place stateside one is depending on car to get around.
  • In a nutshell:Virginia is also President Woodrow Wilson's state of birth.
  • Last visit to Newport News: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2011

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Quite a story about your Newport News brief stay. Was stationed at nearby Oceana NAS in early 1950s-sign on front lawn of houses in nearby Norfolk: "Sailors and Dogs-Stay Off the Grass!" And that was supposed to be a sailor's town. Not for me.

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 6:38 AM

My friend from Toronto arrives soon. We will go to Jacksonville/St Augustine and camp(van) at Fort Clinch. Maybe Tampa also.

Maria250

“Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'-A Cowboy's Guide To Life”

Badges & Stats in Newport News

Have you been to Newport News?

Latest Activity in Newport News