"Leavenworth" Leavenworth by Maria250

Leavenworth Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 66 photos

In 1854 the City became known as the very first city of Kansas. Col. Henry Leavenworth has founded Ft. Leavenworth in 1827 when many settlers headed West. Thousands of wagons on their way to Oregon and California passed through Ft. Leavenworth. And while my Oklahoma ladies and me were rolling from Missouri to Kansas, Leavenworth, I dreamed our drive was a hayride through a marvelous land without fancy landmarks. Who needs fancy landmarks anyway. If one loves endless pastures, then the road to Leavenworth is pure pleasure. Not to mention the joy when meeting with great friends again.

Yes, heartland does refer to Kansas and its ppl. Their generosity and kindness are possibly an holdover from the days back, when homesteaders showed up with hammers, and hampers of food, to help a neighbor raise a barn. Now, our drive wasn't a hayride and Leavenworth offers more than romantic dreams of the good ol'days. The city has a few Cultur and Arts Center such as the Carnegie that is housed in the oldest library building of Kansas. Then museums, theaters, parks and many opportunities for sport activities, recreation places, restaurants, pubs, clubs, and a restored antique Parker carousel. C.W. Parker was the Carnival King, and made Leavenworth the carousel capital of the world by producing more carousels in Leavenworth than any other city in the US.

Melissa Etheridge was born in Leavenworth May 1961. She now is not in Kansas anymore. Melissa Etheridge, the gutsy Midwest girl who grew up to be the heartland's gift to rock & roll. In her memoir she sets the record straight about her life on and off the stage, and the stories behind her songs.

and tomorrow be 1.000 miles away
I will be with you tonight
I will be with you as long as you say stay

One little piece of my soul
One little piece of my whole life
I give to you
Take it now

I will be with you 1.000 miles away
Inside of you a piece of me will stay

One little piece of my soul
One little piece of my whole life
I give to you
Take it now

Not just for some shattered dream I once knew

Come closer now

Not just for some shattered dream I once knew
It's for you

• Pros:Very natural, very kind, very welcoming, very historical.
  • Cons:Not a con but contrasting the curbside trash in front of many houses.
  • In a nutshell:Cinderella must go home though missed the merry-go-round.
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2011

Maria250

“Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'-A Cowboy's Guide To Life”

Badges & Stats in Leavenworth

Have you been to Leavenworth?

Latest Activity in Leavenworth