"Travemuende" Neu Travemünde by Maria250
Neu Travemünde Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 93 photos
Back in the 12th century Travemuende was a small village of fishermen which did their job at the Trave River. Travemuende was actually founded in the 12th century and lived on fishing and sea navigation for centuries. At the end of the 18th century Travemuende was declared a seaside health resort. From then on Luebeck's bourgeoisie used the place to build up their summer residences in accordance with their rank. The most popular place for visitors already then was the spa hotel. In 1833 Travemuende received a casino and therefore became known far beyond the national frontiers. It was often visited by famous persons of those days, among others Joseph von Eichendorff, Iwan Turgenjew and Richard Wagner. Emanuel Geibel was writing poems on the bathing resort and Clara Wieck wrote enthusiastic letters to her later husband Robert Schumann about a sailing trip. In Thomas Mann's worldwide known novel "The Buddenbrooks" the grand society is portraied and how they used to spend their summer resort in Travemuende. We know about Franz Kafka that he horrified few bathers when he took a walk on Travemuende beach bare-footed.
Nowadays Travemuende is a holiday resort, a sailing area and health resort and furthermore has a big ferry harbor with connections to the Baltic states and Scandinavia.
Embedded in the peaceful and classic coastline of Schleswig-Holstein, Travemuende's old town lies close at the seashore. It's center is a very romantic calm, and idyllic spot yet offers such luxery like the spa hotel,
a listed building, with its magnificent, spacious rooms, a first-class locton for spending an exclusive spa vacation if wished. The awesome wild yet gentle nature, the many options of different water sports on the Baltic Sea, then golfing, biking, nordic walking, and doing the spa with huge wellness area with the most modern and exclusive thalassotherapy centre in Germany and excellent Rosa's cuisine sets new standards for luxury vacation in Germany. I personally loved the most the modest and idyllic housing area with its church in the middle of the market place, and very nice locals - elderlies - hanging out there, eating, talking, relaxing.
- Pros:Wonderful place for sports like sailing, boating biking, golfing.
- Cons:Can't think of any.
- In a nutshell:Wether yes or no wellness, the marvelous Baltic Sea will make visitors happy.
The Stadtverkehr Luebeck GmbH operates the local public transport in Luebeck and the surounding as well as the Priwall... more travel advice
The Maritim Strandhotel Travemuende is a 4-star conference and business hotel with 240 comfortable guest rooms with... more travel advice
Maria250's Related Pages
Neu Travemünde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Travemuende - My stepstone to Finland"
- "Travemunde: A chic German seaside resort"
- "Just a Visit"
- "The genteel spirit of Buddenbrooks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Neu Travemünde
- Hotels in Neu Travemünde
- Transportation in Neu Travemünde
- Warnings and Dangers in Neu Travemünde
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Hampton Hotels
- Saint Croix
- Houghton Lake Heights Hotels
- Schouten Island Hotels
- Södra Vi
- Ponta Negra
- Bracknell Hotels
- Diano Marina
- Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
- Bishops Stortford
- Conisbrough Hotels
- Narawntapu National Park Hotels
- City Island
- Waitakere Ranges
Badges & Stats in Neu Travemünde
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Neu Travemünde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Neu Travemünde
Photos in Neu TravemündeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Latest Neu Travemünde hotel reviews
- Maritim Strandhotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions