"Steinhude and its lake, ppl call sea" Steinhude by Maria250
Steinhude Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 38 photos
Sit beneath this tree, its mighty roots are reaching deep into the city's soul, its branches are stretching to greet the blue above, feel the fragile friendship between ground and sky, soak up the clean air, and walk onto this little city's streets, a place that appears so peaceful, and soft in the rising sun.
The Steinhude Lake is a lake in Lower Saxony.. 30 km northwest of Hanover. It is called "Steinhuder Meer" in German, after the adjacent village of Steinhude. The Steinhude Lake is northwest Germany's largest inland lake.. It is part of the glacial landscape formed after the recession of the glaciers of the latest Ice Age, the Wisconsin glaciation.
There are two theories regarding how the lake of Steinhude was formed. One of them says that glaciers pawed out the hole and melt water filled it. The other theory states that an ice storm formed the hole and as the groundwater rose, the lake was created. In its middle there is a small artificial island carrying an 18th-century fortification, the Wilhelmstein. The lake is today the core of a nature reserve, the Naturpark Steinhuder Meer, and is also used as a recreational area.
- Pros:The only place that provids Baltic Sea flair right in the hills of Weserbergland. Locals are very friendly & very welcoming towards visitors.
- Cons:A bit touristy but that's not much of a bother.
- In a nutshell:If you like to spare yourself a long drive to Germany's Baltic Sea you might like to try Germany's Steinhuder Meer.
We visited Museum der Traditionsgemeinschaft Lufttransport Wunstorf e. V. which is rather known as Ju-52 Halle, quite... more travel advice
Smoked eel is a big thing in Steinhude and its Steinhuder Meer. Sounds a bit funny to have a Weserbergland area... more travel advice
Maria250's Related Pages
Steinhude Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Steinhude
- Hotels in Steinhude
- Restaurants in Steinhude
- Warnings and Dangers in Steinhude
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Steinhude
- 13 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Steinhude?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steinhude
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos