"Marvelous shopping mall in Main-Taunus district" Sulzbach by Maria250
Sulzbach Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
This Main-Taunus-Zentrum shopping mall exists since many years. It's the place mom & aunt took me as a child every now and then for doing that shopping thing, having ice cream or dinner at Moevenpick, or just having fun at the playground for kids, or at their movie theater. Main-Taunus-Zentrum is unlike the shopping malls stateside not indoor but an open air place with interconnecting pedestrians-only-alleys making it very easy to walk from store to store while breathing fresh air. The stores are a mix of local shops, restaurants, entertainment, day care, and just chain stores such as New Yorker or Orsay. The very best: Main-Taunus-Zentrum has a Starbucks'.
The concept of the fully-enclosed shopping mall did not appear until the 1950s. The idea was pioneered by the Austrian-born architect and American immigrant Victor Gruen. This new generation, that were eventually called malls, included Northgate Mall, built in north Seattle, Washington, USA in 1950, Victor Gruen's Northland Shopping Center built near Detroit, Michigan, USA in 1954, and Gulfgate Mall in Houston were all originally open-air pedestrian shopping centers that later were enclosed as malls. The first enclosed, postwar shopping center was Southdale Center, which opened in the Twin Cities suburb of Edina, Minnesota, USA in 1956. As equally important as the enclosed aspect of these new malls was that for the first time in the development of American cities, these malls moved retailing away from the dense, commercial downtown into the new sprawling and largely residential suburbs. wikipedia
- Pros:Starbucks'. Free parking. Friendly folks & service & open air.
- Cons:Main-Taunus-Zentrum's webpage doesn't provid any English written informations.
- In a nutshell:Neat place.
Maria250's Related Pages
Sulzbach Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sulzbach
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Sulzbach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sulzbach
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos