"Trier" Trier by Maria250
Trier Travel Guide: 571 reviews and 1,408 photos
The ageblackened stones, held together by iron cramps, gave the famous gate its name: Black Gate. The massive Porta Nigra is a fortified gate in the Roman town walls. In the Middle Ages it was converted into a church, St. Simeon's. From The Porta Nigra the Simeonstrasse heads to the Hauptmarkt with a beautiful late Gothic church, and the old banqueting house of the city councillors. Trier lies at the Mosel River near the area where one can find the junction of Saar River with the Mosel River.
At Weimarer Allee location between the Imperial Baths and the Basilica, at the edge of the Palace Gardens. It's an outstanding museum of Roman antiquities. Numerous reliefs from funerary monuments give an idea about Roman life. Also to be seen are many mosaics and frescoes, ceramics, glassware, an about 3000 year old Egyptian casket with mummy, and prehistoric and medieval art and sculpture.
This location got its name regarding Constantine the Great. For those interested learn about the exhibition in Trier June to November 2007 on Constantine the Great. In a major highlight in the calendar of the European Capital of Culture 2007, Luxembourg and the Land of Rhineland-Palatinate is joining forces with the Bishopric of Trier and the City of Trier to stage an important cultural and historical exhibition, Constantine the Great at three venues: the Rhineland Museum in Trier, the Bishopric Cathedral and Diocese Museum, and the Simeonstift City Museum. The exhibits will document the life of Constantine and his pivotal role in the history of Europe. Showpieces from internationally renowned museums such as the Louvre in Paris, Capitoline Museums in Rome, the Vatican and the British Museum in London will be on display, in addition to new finds from ancient Trier that will be seen in public for the first time, providing visitors with a comprehensive image of this eventful age.
- Pros:Wonderful weather, mostly. Wonderful historic places.
- Cons:Can't think of any.
- In a nutshell:Great location for history buffs - and for those which are not.
If the weather cooperates, Cafe/Restaurant Hauptmann's is a perfect spot to have breakfast at their outdoor tables. Very... more travel advice
Been there for just a cup of coffee which was quite good, hot and creamy. Cafe is comfortable close to Porta Nigra Gate... more travel advice
Maria250's Related Pages
Trier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tribute to Trier"
- "Trier: Where the Romans left their traces"
- "Older than Rome !"
- "worth a visit"
- "The oldest city of Germany!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trier
- Hotels in Trier
- Transportation in Trier
- Nightlife in Trier
- Restaurants in Trier
- Shopping in Trier
- Warnings and Dangers in Trier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trier
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Trier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trier
Photos in TrierSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos