"Heart of the central Mosel" Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues by Maria250
Bernkastel-Kues Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 332 photos
Experiencing the Mosel River, and experiencing its way of gliding through vineyards, valleys, hills, bushes, along castles and ruins gives the visitors most enchanting memories.
As early as the 7th century the small two towns of Bernkastel and Kues were a part of the Roman Empire. Only in 1904 the twin towns Bernkastel and Kues were united as one community. Bernkastel with its (ruins of) Landshut Castle is right of the Mosel River as Kues is located of the Mosel River's left. Strolling through and arround this immensely picturesque town one at first recognize most of the houses are half-timbered houses with lots of stores offering wine and souvenirs. Due to amazing viticulture, amazing vine trade & shipping the town in the 15th century grew very prosperous.
The Landshut Castle, titled after Emperor Maximilian, survived various sieges and horrors of the Thirty Years' War, and was spared by the Soldiers of Louis XIV in 1688. On January 8th though in 1692 the Landshut Castle was ravaged by fire and has since then remained an impressive ruin.
- Pros:Fantastic vine-yards. Magnificent Mosel River.
- Cons:Can't think of any.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful and a little looking like Scotland?
Doing any trips along Mosel River by car is perhaps the most obvious way, and offers more flexibility, but most of the... more travel advice
This fountain can be seen on the well appointed square in front of the former cellarage of the Imperial Elector of... more travel advice
Maria250's Related Pages
Bernkastel-Kues Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a great castle & bears for breakfast"
- "Amazing half-timbered houses"
- "Welcome in Bernkastel Kues - Mosel valley"
- "Heart of the central Mosel"
- "DROP DEAD GORGEOUS BERNKASTEL-KUES!"
- "A Surprise trip to the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer wine area"
- "Bernkastel-Kues: German Fairy-Tale Romantic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bernkastel-Kues
- Hotels in Bernkastel-Kues
- Transportation in Bernkastel-Kues
- Nightlife in Bernkastel-Kues
- Restaurants in Bernkastel-Kues
- Shopping in Bernkastel-Kues
- Warnings and Dangers in Bernkastel-Kues
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bernkastel-Kues
- 13 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Bernkastel-Kues?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bernkastel-Kues
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dizzy...dizzy"
- updated a Bernkastel-Kues Travel Page "Heart of the central Mosel"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Page/PC crashes every other..."
- Commented on one of Jerelis's Bernkastel-Kues travel pages
- Wrote a Review Road trip along Mosel River in Bernkastel-Kues Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Bernkastel-KuesSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 144 photos
- Höxter Intro, 40 reviews, 115 photos
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bernkastel-Kues Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Königstein im Taunus Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos