"Dedication to beautiful Midwestern & South of US" Maria250's Profile

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.

One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back

The men talked for hours on end.

Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Lovers walked arm in arm and a fine view of the sky could be seen.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.

One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man could not hear the band, he could see it in his mind's eye as the gentle man by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days, weeks and months passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.

The nurse responded that the man was blind. He could not even see the wall.

-unknown

You are gone I release you - let you go
You have so many things to see and do
I must not tie myself to you in tears
I shall be happy that we had so many years
I gave my love, you can only guess
how much you gave to me in happiness
But now it's time you travel on alone
So I grieve awhile for you since grieve I must
Then I let my grief be comforted by trust
It's only for awhile that we must part
So blessed now the memories within my heart
You won't be far away for life goes on
So if I need you - I call - and I know you will come
Though I can't see you or touch you, you'll be near
And if I listen with my heart I'll hear
All your love around me, soft and clear
And then when I must come this way alone,
you'll greet me with a smile and "Welcome Home"

-unknown

Rank by Entry: The 17th state in the USA
State Song: Beautiful Ohio
Motto: With God, all things are possible
Symbols: The Cardinal, Buckeye, Scarlet Carnation

Ohio's landscape very much reminded me on Germany's landscape. Then again Ohio's scent alone brought back my favorit dream of some sort of American farm life. The best however was the reunion with my awesome Ohio friends which truly are great ppl with plans and personality!!

Beautiful Ohio
I sailed away; Wandered afar;
Crossed the mighty restless sea;
Looked for where I ought to be.
Cities so grand, mountains above,
Led to this land I love.

Beautiful Ohio, where the golden grain dwarf the lovely flowers in the summer rain. Cities rising high, silhouette the sky. Freedom is supreme in this majestic land; Mighty factories seem to hum in tune, so grand.

Beautiful Ohio, thy wonders are in view, Land where my dreams all come true!

Drifting with the current down a moonlit stream while above the Heavens in their glory gleam, and the stars on high twinkle in the sky seeming in a paradise of love divine dreaming of a pair of eyes that looked in mine.

Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see visions of what used to be.

"Beautiful Ohio" became the state song in 1989. The music was composed by Mary Earl, and the original lyrics were written by Ballard MacDonald.

Pls take a look at Tugboatguy's Ohio page and Tugboatguy's great HP

Kentucky

State Capital: Frankfort
Rank by Size: The 37th largest state of the USA
Statehood: June 1, 1792
Rank by Entry: The 15th state in the USA
State Song: My Old Kentucky Home
Motto: United we stand, divided we fall
Symbols: The Cardinal, Kentucky Coffeetree, Goldenrod

Kentucky is the horse haven of the world. On my travel to Kentucky I haven't been much on backroads but hanging out in Kentucky's Newport with a bunch of wonderful girlfriends. Yet thinking of Kentucky and of its rich, undisturbed green pastures, its silent and peaceful nature, makes me feeling "homesick" like a misplaced "farm gal" in Germany. Few things compare with sitting on a farm house' porch in a red rocking chair passing the time by listen to country music.

"Clear creeks and cool mountain mornin's.

Honest work out in the fields.

Cornbread in my momma's kitchen.

Daddy saying grace before the meal.

Family ties run deep in this land.

And I'm never very far from what I am.

I was born country and that's what I'll always be.

Like the rivers and the woodlands wild and free.

I got a hundred years of down home running through my blood.

I was born country and this country's what I love.

Moonlight and you hear beside me.

Crickets serenadin' in the yard.

What more could two people ask for.

Laying here in love beneath the stars.."

Tennessee

State Capital: Nashville
Rank by Size: The 36th largest state of the USA
Statehood: June 1, 1796
Rank by Entry: 16th state in the USA
State Song: My Homeland Tennessee
Motto: Agriculture and Commerce
Symbols: Mockingbird, Tulip Poplar, Iris

Ask any person what makes Memphis special, and most likely the person tells Memphis is special because it's the city of Graceland, Elvis Presley's lodging. Of course Memphis IS the birthplace of blues and many important styles of the 20th century. Young musicians have experimented there and mixed blues & hillbilly into a whole new sound.

Yet to me Memphis is special because heading to this marvelous place on the Mississippi River banks has been my very first getaway. I discovered (no dig. pics back then) Memphis provids the very absence of chaos and hectic, the unique spirits of the South, a smiling sun, a blue painted sky, a splendid river, great BBQ, charming citizens, beautiful buildings, the antique Main Street Trolley and just vivid inspiration!!

Now by taking away the view from the marvelous metropol of Memphis, and making a stay on the country side, one gets a wonderful opportunity to experience what Tennessee might be all about..

Kenny Chesney:

"..IT PAINTS THE PERFECT PICTURE OF WHAT IT WAS LIKE GROWING UP..IN TENNESSEE..

..where I was raised, the clock ticks and the cattle graze and time passed with amazing grace back where I come from you could lie on a river bank paint your name on a water tank miss count all the beers you drank back where I come from
where I'll be when its said and done
Im proud as any one thats where I come from

We learned in a sunday school
who made the sunshine through
I know who made the moon shine too back where I come from
blue eyes on a saturday night
tan legs in the broad day light
tv's they were black and white
thats where I come from

Some say its a backwards place
narrow minds on the narrow ways
but I make it a point to say

Im an old tennesseean

North Carolina

State Capital: Raleigh
Rank by Size: The 28th largest state of the USA
Statehood: November 21, 1789
Rank by Entry: The 12th state in the USA
State Song: The Old North State
Motto: To be rather than to seen
Symbols: The Cardinal, Long Leaf Pine, Dogwood

At the upper North Carolina coast on historic Roanoke Island are those wildlife refuges I consider the most beautiful ones I have happen to know. That's North Carolina's Swan Ouarter National Wildlife Refuge and Pocosin Lakes. In fall it's less crowded. The nearby town of Belhaven offers nice though limited lodgings. Belhaven was settled by a former Union Army Officer in about 1890. It became a port town with a harbor on the Intracoastel Waterway. An interesting sight of Belhaven is the Memorial Museum to be found inside the old city hall.

A drive of about 100 miles southeast from Belhaven takes one to cities like Jacksonville and Fayetteville where at an awesome tattoo artist's I've had the most extra ordinary birthday "party" in my life.

Texas

State Capital: Austin
Rank by Size: The 2nd largest state of the USA
Statehood: December 29, 1845
Rank by Entry: 28th state in the USA
State Song: Texas, Our Texas
Motto: Friendship
Symbols: Mockingbird, Pecan, Bluebonnet

I've made it to Houston Texas in the end of 1980. Though my travel was work related only Texas always remained a strong magnet for my thoughts. Among those events I still desire to join are the Fairy-Tale tours through Whiteboro's Victorian neighborhoods and Gainesville's historic district with a Fort Worth horse-drawn carriage. Then the "simple pleasures" (read Ben Christensen Feb. 2005 at texashighways. com) of Port Isabel by the Seashore. Then the parade of hot rods at Fort Stockton during the Big Bend Open Road Race. Then most of all I want to join any Texas spring when it's Rodeo Season statewide.

Quoting remarks on rednecks is a pretty different way to express how much one loves Texas and how much one enjoys being with its wonderful ppl yet here it goes:

"It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and God. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of. You might be a Redneck if:

1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

2. You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

3. You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."

4. You remove your hat and bow your head when anyone prays.

5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play our National Anthem.

6. You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have.

7. You've never burned an American flag, but would kick someone's ass that did.

8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend."

Only a Texan knows the difference between a hissy fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.

Only a Texan knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."

Only a Texan can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

Only a Texan knows exactly how long "directly" is as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

All Texans know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Texan knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin.

Only Texans grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece."

They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20. Only a Texan both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' .

No true Texan would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

A Texan knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only Texans make friends while standing in lines. We don't do "queues," we do "lines" and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody.

Put 100 Texans in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

Texans know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Texan.

And a true Texan knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.

To those of you who're still a little embarrassed by your Texaness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Texan stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Texan as a second language

Florida

State Capital: Tallahassee
Rank by Size: The 22th largest state of the USA
Statehood: March 3, 1845
Rank by Entry: The 27th state in the USA
State Song: Swanee River
Motto: In God we trust
Symbols: Mockingbird, Palmetto Palm, Orange Blossom

Florida is famous for being the perfect vacation hot-spot. It is famous for its long sandy-white beaches, clear tropical waters, endless sunshine with beautiful sunrises (and sunsets).
Reasons to visit Florida was to meet a great friend who lived in the Tampa area. I didn't need to see any thing that fits the so called vacation hot-spot but my friend, a very, very kind neighborhood, very, very friendly locals, very tasty Chili Dogs, also enjoying "a beautiful mind" at the cosy movie theater, and the warm rain all day long. Every single day.
I only regret I haven't took a chance to make a trip to Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Florida's Key West.

Georgia

State Capital: Atlanta
Rank by Size: The 24th largest state of the USA
Statehood: January 2, 1788
Rank by Entry: The 4th state in the USA
State Song: Georgia on my mind
Motto: Wisdom, Justice, Moderation
Symbols: Brown Trasher, Live Oak, Cherokee Rose

I planned my travel to Atlanta, Georgia for learning about history. No encounters with Georgia's lovely rivers and nice natural parks (like the Grant Park) which perfectly fits the longing for rests and cosiness.
No events with any friends but visiting The High Museum of Art, The Swan House, The Margret Mitchell House, The CNN Center, The Jimmy Carter Library, and The King Center where at exhibits illustrating his life and teachings.
I missed Six Flags, Stone Mountain, and the Atlanta Zoo. Atlanta has a great public (subway) system (MARTA) what's possibly rather seldom for the states. Now, to me Atlanta was yet the one and only stateside spot I felt its citizen were not that friendly. I won't generalize though.

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Howdy Sunshine! Thank you kindly for visiting my Williamsburg page. I think your very special too!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Good to see you back! You've been away so long!.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Hi pretty lady. Happy Birthday from Florida. Haven't spoken with you in a while, hope you're doing all right.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Maria, I wish you a very Happy Birthday! Here's to many more, Miss you-Doug

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Maria...a new year and another birthday for you. Sure hope this birthday is quite special for you and that your day is filled with joy.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Happy birthday Maria. Where are you?

• Dec 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Hi Maria i wish you Merry Christmas and happy new year 2010 Nikos

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Just back from the ORL VT meet. Lots of fun..review on my homepage...I signed up for the Krakow meet, Mike

• Jul 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM

hi Maria, been looking at your photos of Detmold made me feel happy! i used to live there 20 years ago

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Sorry I missed your birthday! Hope it was great! I haven't been on here in awhile... shame on me! :)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Maria250's Profile Photo

Maria250

“Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'-A Cowboy's Guide To Life”

Real Name