Chennai (Madras) Things to Do Tips by radz Top 5 Page for this destination
Chennai (Madras) Things to Do: 129 reviews and 243 photos
Interested to in astronomy,would like to know more about stars&mystries of the Milkeyway ,then you must visit this .Planetarium". his is one of the modern Planetarium". in the country.
Using GM II projector very sophisticated instrument(it can excute diurnal, annual,
Latitudinal and precessional motions.)
can watch celestial phenomena, on aluminum inner dome used as screen.
Its fully Computerized at time ,at time can accodamate 236 person. They present show varies subject in astronomy,even common laymancan understood.
For every 3 month or sometimes offten change there prgrams themes,so always something one expect new programs to watch.
Program timing:For English Show,morning 10 am,1.15pm,&3.45 pm.Tamil version 12,2.30pm
Entrance fee.adult:Rs20,childRs 10
Directions: Gandhi Mandapam Road, Chennai - 600 025. %
Periyar science centre
It was started 1983,its big centre with many Galleries. Enery Gallery,can see display of Steam Engines, Boiler Links, Valves, Pistons and Circus of Force ,last one Circus of force is fun to play.Must try if u r here.
Transport Gallery here can see the
interactive exhibits on Rail, Road, Air and Water Transport.Material Science section,can see study of crystal structures,atomic arrangements,etcPhysical Science Gallery,this section can learn interact with models,and can learn basics of Physical Science,Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry.
Innovation Gallery this is fun&interesting one,even if you are not interested in science,
then too one can enjoy trying live models.This section can learn through audiovisual presentation,like perception, illusion, reflection all can try by ourselfs.
One more gallary Life Science Gallery,here below 5 years they have special section.
This centre has well maintianed,Science Park,Traffic park,Energy park,Eco Park outside there campus.
Tamilnadu Science and Technology Centres
Gandhi Mandapam Road, Chennai - 600 025.
The impressive Basilica is build over the tomb of St.Thomas.The orignal church was build in 14 the Century,it fell into ruins,and in 1522 the Portuguese build new church ,it was given then status of Cathedral in 1606.
Again 1893,the church was demolished and the present Church was build.The architecture of the church Gothic style Cathedral.In 1956 it has given Basilica
status as tribute to the martyred St.Thomas.
Worth visit to see old Church,but it seems getting old too fast.Same campus there is one school.You wont see many tourist here,but if you visit Chennai,then must visit this Cathedral .
Address: Santhome highroad Chennai.
Directions: Near to Marina.
The National Art Gallery
Egmore is center place in Chennai,the pic is Egmore museum,There is also childran museum in same campus.The redstone building was build in 1906,in the Indo Sarancenic style of Architecture.The building is impressive from outside :),inside can see the display of 10.13 century bronzes16th 18th century Mugal paintings,from 11,12 century Indian handicrafts.Worth a visit.
Same campus there is childrans museum too,I din't go inside only took pic of Big Dianozer:) infornt of Childrans museum .
Near Art Gallary at Egmore many shopping complexs are there ,to shopping.
Friday is holiday&other national holidays too museum will be closed.
Address: Panthian road,Egmore
This is one of the oldest temple in he city.Its Shiva temple,build by Vijayanagar kings in the 16th Century.The temple Gopuram is 37 metre height,its not very tall Gopuram,
but it was build as Dravidian temple architecture.Now its renovation is going on. so i count take closeup latest pic :(.
Inside outer yard can see bronze statue of 63 Saivite Saints displayed .
The significant of this temple,the legend goes like this, its site of miraclewhen Saint Gnanasambandar sang a hyme to Lord Kapaleeswarar to resurrect a dead gal from her ashes.
This templs is main landmark in city,near Luz corner is main shopping place.
Ramakrishna universal temple
This beautiful temple is in Ramakrishna Math,everyone can come&pray
irrespective of casts &religion .Its not usual temple,one can see God or Godess idols,here inside of the temple can Sri Ramakrishna idol.Any time of Day can see people here silentely doing prayers.
About Math:The Math stands as a symbol of religion ,harmony and place ,where all are
welcome as irrespective of casts ,creed,&religion.Every activity of Math is considered as form of worship.Then run free hospital&Schools many instituiton.
3.00pm to 9.00 pm
Directions: Near Mylapore temple tank.Address:RK.Matt road,Chennai,Mylapore-600004.
Awwww Think of Madras,next comes to anyone mind is Merina (heheheh for my mind ,i dont know about others ;) .)is second longest beach in the world.The beach starts from Madras harbour in the north to Santhome Cathedral in south more than 11km long.Its place for evening hangout for enjoying cool breez from Bay of Bengal,
with Chennai hot humid climate day time you can't any crowd here at daytime.Evening time will be crowded with locals &small venders.
Merina is offten the venue for important State function.
Beach here is not for swimming,but you could see,childran playing in water&swimming too.Watter here in this beach is polluted.
Beach raod is one of beautiful road at Chennai,can see several statues of Tamil scholars,on side parks,across the road are several important buildings of city.The Senate House, University campus building
striking Chepauk Palace and Office of the Director-general of Police ,impressive 19th
19th century construction,it was build as the City's first Masonic hall.
Directions: Address easily findout,Beach is main landmark of city,so no problem.
radz's Related Pages
Chennai (Madras) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chennai Revisited"
- "CHENNAI ( MADRAS)- GATEWAY OF SOUTH INDIA."
- "Chennai- Culture intact"
- "Madras-Cultural capital of India."
- "Chennai (Madras)"
- "Cheers Chennai"
- "Chennai - Conservative yet Modern"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chennai (Madras)
- Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
- Transportation in Chennai (Madras)
- Nightlife in Chennai (Madras)
- Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
- Shopping in Chennai (Madras)
- Warnings and Dangers in Chennai (Madras)
- See All...
Explore the World
- Valdez Hotels
- Lungernsee Hotels
- Pulau Labuan
- Sangandaan Hotels
- Castricum aan Zee Hotels
Badges & Stats in Chennai (Madras)
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Chennai (Madras)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chennai (Madras)
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Chennai (Madras) travel pages
- Posted in Travel New Delhi Forum "RE: em-in-sing"
- updated a Chennai (Madras) Travel Page "Madras-Cultural capital of India."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Madras-Cultural capital of India."
- Wrote a Review Higginbothoms in Chennai (Madras) Shopping
Photos in Chennai (Madras)See All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jaipur Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mamallapuram Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manali Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Chennai (Madras) hotel reviews
- Taj Connemara Hotel
- 331 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Mount Heera
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Hotel Emerald Park
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2013
- YWCA Guest House
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Manhattan Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Shylee Niwas Service Apartment (Anna Nagar)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Nandhini Palace
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 21, 2012
- Quality Inn Sabri Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Shan Royal
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Quality Hotel Sabari Classic
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Radha Park Inn Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Buharis Blue Lagoon Resort
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- The Spring Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Nakshatra Serviced Apartments
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013
- Marina Beach- 12 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Government Museum- 6 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Mahabalipuram- 6 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Fort St George Museum- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Fort St George- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- San Thome Cathedral- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Ramakrishna Temple- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Ashtalakshmi Temple- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Zoo- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Chennai (Madras) Things to Do