""Pocomoke" pronounced "PO - CO - MOKE"" Pocomoke City by KeriAnnByrdFoster

Pocomoke City Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 4 photos

A Quick View Of Pocomoke

Hello Everyone!!!
I found this site and when I saw no one had entered anything about our wonderful small town I found my fingers typing away for I would like to introduce our corner of the world, Pocomoke City, Maryland. Were a small town boosting about 4,000 people. Were located on the famous Pocomoke River which is lined with Cypress Trees. The name Pocomoke is taken from the Pocomoke Indians that once inhabited this area and means Dark Waters. The town and area is rich in history. Hallmarks of the past are still with us in the restored homes and the stories of times long ago. And though we live in this time, were still old fashion with a main street where people walk and get to know their neighbors. Pocomoke has community events which brings the whole town out. The Cypress Festival early in summer is located on the banks of the Pocomoke River. The end of summer brings The Great Pocomoke Fair with horseracing as the main event and should you not mind the slide, the grease pole awaits your climb as you try for the flag at its top. And there is nothing like the Christmas Parade. Held at night so the lights of the floats are twinkling and making us smile as we sit huddle with friends and family, laughing and having a great time. Other activites exist all year, the Triathlon, the Native America Festival and POW WOW, Demolition Derbys, Downtown Concert and Block Party, ATV Jamborees, Candlelight Walking Tour, Four Wheel Races and the list goes on. When the tragedy of 9/11 occurred, the owner of the local bowling alley wanted to do a fund raiser. Within hours, the whole town wanted to do their part and by the end of the afternoon, over 30,000 dollars was raised. Then as night fell, it ended with a candlelit prayer as we remembered those lost and those they left behind. Our schools are supported strongly by the town. And last year there was tremendous celebrations as the Field Hockey, Soccer, and Basketball team all came home with state wins! We billed Pocomoke City as the Friendliest Town On The Eastern Shore. It was not long ago when my next door neighbor who moved from another state said, "Everywhere I go, people say hi and asked me how I am doing.". I could only smile and answer, "Well, you did move to the Friendliest town."

What's Near!

One particular thing I love about Pocomoke is our location. On the river! Yet, what makes this an even nicer place is what is near. We are so close to so much and an easy day for even more things. State Parks abound everywhere for the Nature Lover. Were close to the Ocean City resort, famous for the wooden boardwalk filled with games, rides, and food. Just a little north are all the Delaware beaches, Fenwick, Rehobeth, Bethany. It is a wonderful place to vacation. Were even closer to Virginia Famous Assateague Islands where the wide ponies roam. Every year they have Pony Penning and old fashion carnival. On the way to the beach, if you look left and right you will see NASA Wallops Island and the Virginia Space Flight Center. To the south 70 miles away we can be in Virginia Beach and with a few more miles you can be in Busch Gardens, the Old World and Williamsburg. If you go North, a few hours puts us in the Capital filled with museums, festivals, and history. Or maybe it will be Annapolis and the Naval Academy for the day or Baltimore with the Inner Harbor. The Chesapeake Bay is to the left and its crabs still the best in the world! You can take a boat to the islands of Tangier and Smith where time seems to have stood still. Oxford and St. Michaels has a history than can be enjoyed by a walk through the town. Were in the middle of a lot and that has made this an awesome neat place as some of the kids would say!

I Hope You Will Visit & Your Welcome To Stay!

So in ending, I invite any and all to our town. Were a great place to live, the high prices of other areas have not hit us yet. We have many organizations in town, Kiwanis, Soroptimist, Rotary, Fair Committee, etc.. Our town is filled with churches of all denominations. There's softball in the summer and volleyball leagues in the winter. Drama club and bowling leagues. And I could go on and on...for I think were a pretty wonderful place to live and visit. But now I shall be quiet, and simply say, "Have a wonderful Day and I Hope To See You Soon".

• Pros:Were a small town with a big heart!
  • Cons:Only con I can think of, is we haven't meet you yet!
  • In a nutshell:Tis a good place to call home!
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2003

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 5:14 AM

Wow thanks for this tip! I have hoped to find something quick and yummy like the Deli. I often don't have the time for Upper Deck, the inclination for Bonanza or McD's. This sounds perfect! Fondly, your neighbor from Onancock, VA.

KeriAnnByrdFoster

“There is beauty everywhere.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Pocomoke City

Have you been to Pocomoke City?

Latest Activity in Pocomoke City