"the capital of Siberia" Top 5 Page for this destination Novosibirsk by Sioma
Novosibirsk Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 405 photos
It's situated on Ob river, in the geographical center of Russia (to mark this very place there's the little pretty church of S.Nicolaj).
Rather young (founded in 1893 during the building of the railway), the original name was Novonikolaevsk, but it was changed in Novosibirsk in 1925. Letteraly "exploded" after 1930, nowadays it is the biggest city in Siberia, with about 1.900.000 inhabitants, and the main stop along transiberian railway.
Modern, but also elegant and clean...it even doesn't seem a Russian city...
Novosibirsk is a quite a particular city; when you are here, you really understand that space is not a problem in Siberia: everything is huge, airy : big streets, big buildings, a lot of space, forests among the suburbs...
it is almost as big as Moscow but the population's is about 1/5th of the capital, with all the advantages of the case: much less chaos, traffic, smog...but maybe, just for this, also a bit dispersive.
It is famous for the Opera theatre building, the biggest of Russia, with its characteristic architecture, and for its university situated in the suburb of Akademgorodok
...close to the previous fountain, there are some original statues of normal citizens... ...note the astonished real... more travel advice
Sioma's Related Pages
Novosibirsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La capitale de la Sibérie"
- "Novosibirsk - a Soviet style giant"
- "Welcome to my Novosibirsk"
- "the capital of Siberia"
- "The real Russia"
- "ice bowl"
- "Visiting on October 2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Novosibirsk
- Hotels in Novosibirsk
- Transportation in Novosibirsk
- Nightlife in Novosibirsk
- Restaurants in Novosibirsk
- Shopping in Novosibirsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Novosibirsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novosibirsk
- 23 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Novosibirsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novosibirsk
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Prague Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novosibirsk Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Lucca Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Riga Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos