"the 3rd capital of Russia" Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg by Sioma
Yekaterinburg Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 337 photos
Yekaterinburg is the capital of Urals region, and it is considered to be the 3rd capital of Russia, after Moscow and St.Petersburg.
Its population is about 1.5 mln of inhabitants.
It was founded in 1723, when Peter the great ordered to estabilish here a metallurgic plant to exploit the natural resources of Urals. The energy to make the factory working was obtained by the water: a dam was built on Iset river, and an artificial lake created; dam and lake are still present in the center of the city
Its historical importance is due to the fact that this is the city where last russian zar and his family were first jailed and then killed in 1918.
In that place has been recently built a big church, as a memorial.
During comunist age, its name was changed in "Sverdlovsk", in honour of Yakov Sverdlov, the officer of communist party who ordered the execution of zar's family.
In 1991 the old name (in honour of Peter's wife, Ekaterina, but also of S.Ekaterina, protector of miners) has been restored.
the dam that creates the lake...still the same of 1723 more travel advice
Sioma's Related Pages
Yekaterinburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "xenia's new Yekaterinburg page"
- "the 3rd capital of Russia"
- "On the line between Europe and Asia"
- "The Urals capital"
- "why Yekaterinburg?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yekaterinburg
- Hotels in Yekaterinburg
- Transportation in Yekaterinburg
- Nightlife in Yekaterinburg
- Restaurants in Yekaterinburg
- Shopping in Yekaterinburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Yekaterinburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yekaterinburg
- 21 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Yekaterinburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yekaterinburg
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Prague Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novosibirsk Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Lucca Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yekaterinburg Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Riga Intro, 23 reviews, 16 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos