"Indian City" Indian City by Acore_Beauty_4_U_Luv
Indian City Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 25 photos
Indian City U.S.A. was organized by the citizens of Anadarko in 1954. It was designed as a vast outdoor museum to provide visitors with a highly reliable series of reconstructed American Indian Villages. Our goal is to provide you insight into the daily routine, religious beliefs, and social life of the Native Americans from various regions of the Southwest. Indian City has been visited by people from all over the United States and the world, and is open to visitors all year long.
The land occupied by Indian City itself is rich in history. Here, during the Civil War, the Tonkawa Indians were attacked by other tribes killing 137 in the Tonkawa Massacre. The 200 acre tract, is a small portion of the Kiowa, Apache, and Comanche Reservations established by the Federal Government in Oklahoma.
Tours of Indian City are conducted by members of some of the same tribes that are represented in the Villages. The Gift Shop at Indian City is a great place for local artists to make and sell their wares.
Members of the same tribes represented at Indian City conduct the tours of the seven villages. Along the trail, you will be shown reconstructions of Navajo, Chiricahua Apache, Wichita, Kiowa Winter Camp, Caddo, Pawnee, and Pueblo Villages. When viewing the villages, it is easy to visualize the type of people that lived in them; such as the agricultural people who lived in permanent villages, or the nomadic hunting tribes who had to follow the migrations of game throughout the year.
It is important to bear in mind when viewing the villages that we have constructed these villages in miniature. This is not to say that the houses are miniature, for each of them is full size, but rather to say that the villages themselves are smaller than they ordinarily would be.
You might also be interested in the various artifacts on display in many of the dwellings. Items such as tools, cradles, cooking utensils, weapons, musical instruments, games, and toys of the different tribes.
- Pros:A great place to experience Native American Culture
- Cons:none at all
- In a nutshell:I never pass this place up when in Oklahoma
The Indian City Lodge is where the tour of the Villages begins. Visitors can see and purchase handcrafted Indian work as... more travel advice
Acore_Beauty_4_U_Luv's Related Pages
Indian City Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Indian City
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Indian City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indian City
Top 10 Pages
- Indian City Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sacramento Intro, 4 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Solingen Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pismo Beach Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Visalia Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Lennestadt Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Three Rivers Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos