"Solingen und Schloss Burg Castle" Solingen by Acore_Beauty_4_U_Luv
Solingen Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 30 photos
SOLINGEN, Germany, in Westphalia, near the Rhine river, stands on a hill bordering the Wupper River, 20 miles northeast of Cologne. It has Catholic and Protestant churches, a synagogue, schools of various grades, hospital, electricity and all the conveniences of a modern town. It is a center of steel and iron industry in Germany.
The municipality was established in 1374 and the town became famous for its sword-blades. There are numerous metal factories which turn out fine cutlery, copper and brass-ware, and surgical instruments, etc., while several thousand workmen make small articles of cutlery at home. In addition, there are paper, linen, cotton, silk, soap and other factories. Solingen cutlery as been famous since medieval times and is supposed to have been introduced by crusaders from Damascus. Pop. 165,000 in 1997.
("Wappen" translates to standard in English}
A few kilometers from Solingen, is located the Schloss Burg (Castle Berg), home to the Counts of Burg, who initially used the site as a fortress beginning about 1000 A.D. during the time of the crusades. Today it is a part of the 600 year old, world renowned flatware center of Solingen, and was the actual capital of the Bergische Land during the Middle Ages. It was the seat of the Counts of Burg, who ruled their delightful little realm from here.
KQQL biker hang out. One day we rode in the rain...
I had to beg him...but I love the rain! The Sweet owners served us coffee
even though they were not yet open...We revisited several more times...
Neato place indeed. They even serve Mexican food there...my fav! :)
Beauty of Bikes...loads of CQQL people.
Lot's and lot's of digit's exchanged at this grill ;)
- Pros:Solingen is home of the Hubraum :)
- Cons:Solingen would not allow me to bring the Hubraum home with me :)
- In a nutshell:The Hubraum is the CQQLEST place to hang on weekends :)
This is a nice Restaurant on the Castle grounds. I had my motorcylewear on, so I did not eat here. It looked rather nice... more travel advice
This flag is displayed in a number of areas on the Castle grounds. more travel advice
Acore_Beauty_4_U_Luv's Related Pages
Solingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solingen und Schloss Burg Castle"
- "Made in Solingen"
- "Andre_Papa's new Solingen Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solingen
- Hotels in Solingen
- Transportation in Solingen
- Restaurants in Solingen
- Shopping in Solingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solingen
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Solingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solingen
Top 10 Pages
- Indian City Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sacramento Intro, 4 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Solingen Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pismo Beach Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Visalia Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Lennestadt Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Three Rivers Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos