"Wa, The Black Volta, and the Burkina Border" Upper West Region by atufft
Upper West Region Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 46 photos
The Tamale to Wa bus passes through Larabanga (Mole National Park) sometime in midmorning. Knowing this was the only bus, and not knowing really what time it would arrive, we choose to take the early morning bus from Mole National Park into Larabanga, where we had breakfast. This also gave us plenty of time to visit the ancient mud mosque. When the bus finally arrived, it was already packed full, so we had to squeeze ourselves to get on. Fortunately, our luggage was put in to a locked cage at the back of the bus, and we were able to position ourselve in the front stairwell, hoping to eventually find a seat up front with the driver. We stood for about 4 hours until we reached the crossroads that led north to Wa. We arrived in Wa around 2pm, and so we had time to check out the local king's ruined home and the local mud mosques.
We manage to arrange for a driver to take us to the Black Volta River and the Wechiau Hippo Santuary. We had a good guide and safe canoe for the ride on the relatively fast flowing Black Volta River. Unfortunately, the water was still high and we could not spot any hippos. However, we found a good use of our time visiting the Lobi homes and village. We visited briefly with an old woman who wore her lip plug.
Within an hour or so, we arrived by tro-tro on the Burkina Faso border. The town here on both sides is Hamale. We had to wait at the customs office for the rain to stop, and the bus departing for our planned destination seemed to take forever. Otherwise, crossing the border was easy compared to the border at Navarango.
- Pros:Good hotel for a small town, easy border crossing.
- Cons:Expect standing room only on the bus from Larabanga
- In a nutshell:Wa was a great way to access Burkina Faso and Mali
On the way back to Wa from the Hippo Sanctuary we stopped at a marketplace. Actually, this may not be Lobi alone, but... more travel advice
Tro-Tro's destine for Hamale leave a station outside Wa when they get full. We arrived early enough to get the front... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Upper West Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wa, The Black Volta, and the Burkina Border"
- "Wa, capital of the Upper West Region"
- "Wa A Place in My Heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Upper West Region
- Hotels in Upper West Region
- Transportation in Upper West Region
- Nightlife in Upper West Region
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Upper West Region
- 8 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Upper West Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Upper West Region
Photos in Upper West RegionSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos