"Railroad, Prison, Oil, and Interstate Town" Rawlins by atufft
Rawlins Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 40 photos
Rawlins, the county seat of Carbon County ("Carbon" is likely derived from a French fur trapper name) is located along the original transcontinental railroad, the original transcontinental "Lincoln" highway, and today's transcontinental east-west route known as Interstate 80. The town is named after Rawlin Springs, which in turn were named after General John A. Rawlins, a decorated Civil War veteran who at the time was put in charge of defending railroad work from the Shoshone and Arapahoe Indians who were the areas original inhabitants. Rawlins had been so taken by the quality of the spring water discovered there that he suggested it be named after him. During the 19th century, the railroad probably brought in more prisoners than tourists, but like other railroad towns of the high plains region, Rawlins has a railroad depot of architectural interest. And, while the old frontier prison has been long since replaced by a more modern Wyoming State Penitentiary, the old one remains as a curiosity for those interested in the old west. Set in a small valley with a dramatic rocky ridge backdrop, Rawlins is worth a brief stop along the way from east to west. I occasionally stop for the night at the Travel America truck stop on the ridge across the freeway, and with luck will find time enough to go downtown for breakfast or lunch. In addition to the railroad depot and prison, Rawlins has a small but interesting collection of late 19th and early 20th century frontier architecture.
Normally, I try to get around and shoot images of old churches, as these are typically some of the best architecture in... more travel advice
A block north of Cedar is a curious volunteer garden park with an wrought iron arch that says Soroptimist Park. The park... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Rawlins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Railroad, Prison, Oil, and Interstate Town"
- "cjg1's new Rawlins Page"
- "Day two down"
- "Basaic Rawlins Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rawlins
- Hotels in Rawlins
- Transportation in Rawlins
- Restaurants in Rawlins
- Warnings and Dangers in Rawlins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rawlins
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Rawlins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rawlins
Photos in RawlinsSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos