Green River Things to Do Tips by atufft
Green River Things to Do: 14 reviews and 48 photos
When I was a child, my dad took the family on a car trip to Yellowstone NP. It was July and yet a snow storm came, and the family quickly grew weary of trying to stay warm in a tent. So, we packed up and headed south to Flaming Gorge where I recall one of the best summer adventures ever. The beauty of the canyons combined with endless swimming and boating opportunities makes this reservoir one of the nation's best. Green River is the starting point for entry into Flaming Gorge, and the city hosts an annual Flaming Gorge Days Festival in June that includes live music, food, and sporting events. There's also a scenic byway through to Flaming Gorge that's about 100 miles long. In any case, the town of Green River is a good place to stock the ice chest or otherwise get outfitted on the way to this great recreational resource.
Pioneer Memorial in Green River, WY
There's a pioneer memorial near the Green River downtown park.
Green River Passenger Rail Depot
The Green River rail yard is still very much functional, and unfortunately, the old railroad passenger terminal is still being occupied by the Union Pacific Offices. I was told at the museum that old marble floors were layered over with concrete during an effort to make the passenger lobby area suitable for office cubicles. Many windows appear to be blocked. Getting a good overview of the rail yard from the east is difficult because the overpass has obscured fencing. I did manage to take a letter slot shot though.
Green River, WY Residence
There are a few interesting homes in Green River, but most interesting is the setting in which they are found. Check out these examples.
Architecture of Green River
Green River doesn't have the substantial collection of old architecture found in some other Wyoming towns, but there are a few exotic examples worth seeing.
Evers Park, Green River, WY
Near Expedition Island, but on the mainland, is the locally favorite Evers Park. There's plenty of picniking tables and lawn space, children's climbing equipment, and a great summer water attraction for the kids. Nearby, the railroad contributed an old caboose that children can climb on.
Wetland Grasses on the Green River
There is a walk way, or bicycle trail that travels along the river which can be easily taken within an hour. I started at Expedition Island and stopped at an overpass where I returned to the truck, the map shows that Green River has a considerable acreage of park land and wetland preserves associated with this walk.
View of Expedition Island from Downstream
The actual launch site for John Wesley Powell's adventure, that eventually resulted in his navigating the Grand Canyon, began at Expedition Island on the Green River. The site has been faithfully preserved as a park and there are bridges reaching the island from either bank of the river.
John Wesley Powell Statue in Green River, Wy
The Sweetwater County Museum is easy to find on Flaming Gorge Street, the main avenue in town. A larger than lifesize statue of John Wesley Powell stands out front of the former Green River Post Office. The building itself has been faithfully restored to retain the stone flooring inside and other features of the Post Office that would be costly to build in today's economy.
Movie Camera and Puppets
The race from New York to Paris by automobile passed through Green River, and there are numerous collectible pieces as evidence from this period during the first decade of the 20th century.
More Reviews (3)
atufft's Related Pages
Green River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Origins of the Grand Canyon Begin Here"
- "$cbRoundtrip USA : part 13 "The Great Race""
- "Green River"
- "A little town a growin"
- "By Her Spring Greyish and Dusty Brown Overcast"
- "Basaic Green River Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Green River
- Transportation in Green River
- Warnings and Dangers in Green River
- See All...
Explore the World
- Babat Hotels
- Laguna de Guatavita Hotels
- David Crockett State Park Hotels
- Kinzua Bridge State Park Hotels
- Isla de Fuerteventura
- Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Angel Fire
Badges & Stats in Green River
- 16 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Green River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Green River
Photos in Green RiverSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 202 reviews, 759 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 38 reviews, 165 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos