"Easy Adjunct to an I-80 Rest Stop in Wyoming" Fort Steele by atufft
Fort Steele Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 37 photos
Established in 1868, Fort Steele is one of three forts created to provide protection for the first transcontinental railroad. During this time Native American tribal attacks were commonplace, but unlike earlier defensive structures, Fort Steele was essentially an open barracks and arms supply depot and little more. Fort Steele was named in honor of Civil War Brevet Major General Frederick Steele, a veteran of the Mexican War who had served without great distinction during the Civil War. Steele had died in San Mateo, California in the year that Fort Steele was established. Fort Steele was decommissioned after 18 years, when the threat of Indian war had ceased.
Though a small town had thrived in this barren spot on the North Platte River, the closing of the fort meant hardship for those who remained. Sheep herding and logging by private concerns that had purchased the fort and lands from the government then took control. The Lincoln Highway turned Fort Steele into a rest stop complete with a gas station, but today, the fort is a national preserve and the I-80 rest stop, about a mile south of Fort Steele, provides little more than public restrooms for those traveling through. For those needing more than simply a quick bathroom stop, Fort Steele provides perhaps an hour's worth of exploration of historical remains, a chance encounter with goats, and a splendid view of the North Platte within the natural setting of Wyoming landscape.
Deep ravines and broad landscapes typical of Wyoming are easy to appreciate close up here at Fort Steele. more travel advice
For safety reasons, the Fort Steele ammunition depot was constructed at some distance from the barracks buildings.... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Fort Steele Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easy Adjunct to an I-80 Rest Stop in Wyoming"
- "Basaic Fort Steele Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Steele
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Fort Steele?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Steele
Photos in Fort SteeleSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos