"Diversion to Lyman and Fort Bridger" Fort Bridger by atufft
Fort Bridger Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos
Along the I-80 route near the junction of US 30 in Wyoming, there is a well known diversion through Lyman and Fort Bridger, which is shown conveniently on a road sign map. The loop takes maybe 30 minutes to drive, but will take longer if one stops at Fort Bridger. Fort Bridger is named after famous mountain man Jim Bridger who first built a fur trading post and stockade in 1842. However, the post quickly became preoccupied with outfitting pioneers as it was also located on the Oregon Trail. The Mormons were frequent pioneers along this part of the route, and in 1857 conflict with them resulted in the burning of the stockade. The Mormons claimed to have purchased Fort Bridger, but the Mormon Church archives refused to bring to public the receipt it claims to hold. Bridger returned to Missouri, and the US Army rebuilt the fort for control of the Indians along the Oregon Trail route. During the 1860's Fort Bridger became a stage stop for the Pony Express and Overland Stage routes. Today a number of original buildings from 1858 through 1890 are still standing. Fort Bridger contains the first school house in Wyoming. Thus, Fort Bridger's considerable history witin the state of Wyoming is only exceeded by Fort Laramie at the eastern edge of the state.
A famous dog is buried at Fort Bridger. There have been several books written about this mutt, and frankly his grave... more travel advice
Nothing remains of Jim Bridger's original wooden stockade, bu behind the museum are the remains of some original... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Fort Bridger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Bridger State Historic Site"
- "Diversion to Lyman and Fort Bridger"
- "Fort Bridger in Wyoming"
- "Basaic Fort Bridger Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fort Bridger
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Fort Bridger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Bridger
Photos in Fort BridgerSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos