"Charming Swiss Immigrant Village" New Glarus by atufft
New Glarus Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 92 photos
New Glarus was founded during Wisconsin's territorial period when northern European immigrants found the land cheap and appropriate for their skills in dairy farming and other such pioneer occupations. Named after the home region in Switzerland, New Glarus remained very much a Swiss ethnic village until the current period. I last visited during Memorial Day weekend, carrying a load of bagels between Sterling, IL and Tomah, WI, and so the stretch of Wisconsin state route 69, between Monroe and Madison, was a pleasant part of this trip. I was able to stop and enjoy a walk around town, a cup of coffee and Swiss pastries, and a hometown Memorial Day parade.
The New Glarus Primrose Winery has been around since 1990, and was in the process of moving from its 1st Street building... more travel advice
The rolling hills and infrequently traveled country roads of the area make New Glarus an excellent cycling location. I... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
New Glarus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Something (delightfully) Sour in New Glarus"
- "Americas little Switzerland"
- "Charming Swiss Immigrant Village"
- "Little Switzerland (Without the Mountains)"
- "Small town of Swis innigrants"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Glarus
- Hotels in New Glarus
- Transportation in New Glarus
- Restaurants in New Glarus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Glarus
- 13 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to New Glarus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Glarus
Photos in New GlarusSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos