"Unfinished Icon of the Founding Fathers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rushmore National Memorial by atufft
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 330 photos
Originally intended to become a tourism magnet into the Dakotas, the Mt Rushmore Memorial project was fully funded by the Federal government and managed by the National Parks Department. Yet, the sculptor, Guzton Borglum, and his son Lincoln, were artists that championed a style of art in America that included strong patriotic belief in American heroic achievement and nativism. The gigantic scale of Borglum's work at Mt Rushmore was not unique, as his career included several such works around the country, but Mt Rushmore is by far his most famous work. The figures of Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Lincoln are actually an unfinished work that would have included fully standing figures, and potentially at least, the additional figure of Susan B. Anthony. While Calvin Coolidge dedicated the project in 1927, funding for the project ended in 1941, midway through WWII, when patriotic efforts were needed elsewhere in the world.
The artists bust is located in main entrance prior to the Avenue of the Flags. more travel advice
At the lowest end of the Presidential Trail, just prior to the steep stone stairs back up to the parking lot level, is... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Truly a spectacular Memorial"
- "Faces in the rock"
- "Mount Rushmore National Monument"
- "Unfinished Icon of the Founding Fathers"
- "A League of Their Own"
- "Look up the President's Nostrils"
- "They Paved Paradise & Put up a Parking Lot"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Hotels in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Transportation in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Restaurants in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Shopping in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos