"Hasbro and Blackstone Falls" Central Falls by atufft
Central Falls Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 51 photos
I drove my big rig into Central Falls around midnight, to deliver office furniture to the loading dock of the old Hasbro factory. So I found the larger opportunity to study a town well visited by the Industrial Revolution. I only had a few hours in the morning to walk mostly along Broad Street, but I found a few things of interest for this report. Resident Rhode Island VT member Pawtuxet provides an excellent background history to this city, so I provide only some details, particularly with regard to the influx of Hispanic culture to a community once dominated by Hasbro, Rhody Rugs, Sylvania. Central Falls and its neighbor on the opposite bank of the Blackstone River, Cumberland, originally tapped the Blackstone Falls to power a world center of textiles, but by the late 19th century, established corporate names and products well known throughout the world. Some of these factory buildings remain, having been converted to other purposes.
Locals regard Central Falls as something of an immigrant gangster town, but having been raised in Stockton, CA, where gang wars are a serious problem, I frankly didn't see much to be concerned about. During the wee hours of the morning when I arrive, Broad Street was asleep, and even on the following Monday morning, the town appeared less than alive. Besides the walk along the Blackstone River, there is another central park with a good view of town, and plenty of working class architecture to ponder over as one nibbles on an empanada and sips a cup of real Colombian coffee.
I climbed a small hill street, past an elementary school where I witnessed a teacher scolding a disruptive immigrant... more travel advice
The short but reliable drop of Blackstone Falls made Central Falls the textile giant it once was. The flowing water was... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Central Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Central Falls ~ Blackstone River Corridor"
- "SueRivet's new Central Falls Page"
- "Hasbro and Blackstone Falls"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Central Falls
- 8 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Central Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Central Falls
- Posted in Travel San Jose Forum "Re: what to wear in december at a..."
- updated a Central Falls Travel Page "Hasbro and Blackstone Falls"
- Wrote a Review Residential Architecture off Broad Street in Central Falls Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Residential Architecture off Broad Street"
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Central Falls travel pages
Photos in Central FallsSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos