"Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by atufft
Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 2,058 photos
Meet my friend Mamoudou Cisse at Bobo Art (see contact). He is charming, always helpful, and as reasonably priced a guide you'll ever get. He will take you around Bobo-Dioulasso and to villages, such as Koro and Koumi using local transport or his motobike. An easy thing to do is to rent a motor bike near the Market, but he'll do that for you at no charge. His uncle's shop is excellent, but the market at Bobo is another great place to bargain for masks and art from the entire West African region. Bobo itself is safe and shaded by trees in its center. At night, clubs feature live traditional music. Take care of my best West African guide (and argueably best I've ever had) as you enjoy the area.
Mamoudou took me out to some villages off the beaten path. There, I pulled out the camera and entertained some families who had nothing else to do but talk to an American like me. I loved the simple charm of these people. Koro and Koumi are must see activities in Burkina Faso. A day of simply visiting among the families here will entertain European and American visitors forever, despite the fact that these families have neither television, telephone, nor any other kind of electronic gadgetry whatsoever. Further south, near the junction of Burkina Faso, Ghana, and Ivory Coast, is the Lobi country. The town center is Gaoua, and there's a good hotel in which to stay the night. A day or two visiting the Lobi people is quite interesting.
We took the local bus for an hour or so from Bobo to Banfora. Then, rented a couple motor scooters for the trip into the park. The paths are sandy and flat, and the ride past all the folks walking to market was fun. The lake there has Hippos, and unlike our previous attempts along the Volta River, we found it easy to find them. The boatman knows exactly where to find them. See the Banfora tip for more details.
2014 Update for VT Readers: Traveled with Mamadou again but in Italy. He reported that Lonely Planet writers had found this post and sought him out for a feature in their book. So, check out the latest edition and see if he's there. See recent tip on masks I bought from him while in Italy.
- Pros:Burkina Faso is full of friendly villages and places to see wildlife
- Cons:Without a guide, it's hard to find one's way around
- In a nutshell:Burkina Faso is an easy and safe place for adventure tourists to visit
Mamadou is an expert in tribal masks and can identify the tribe and quality of most any West African mask. I bought... more travel advice
We had been expecting the roads to be miserable in Burkina Faso, since the country is even poorer than Ghana, a... more travel advice
- Breakfast in Burkina Faso
- See All Banfora Lake and Waterfalls
- Les Bambous traditional music spot
atufft's Related Pages
Burkina Faso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burkina Faso"
- "Burkino Faso"
- "Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable"
- "Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages"
- "Burkina Faso and FESPACO film festival"
- "UPPER VOLTA !"
- "Black Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burkina Faso
- Hotels in Burkina Faso
- Transportation in Burkina Faso
- Nightlife in Burkina Faso
- Restaurants in Burkina Faso
- Shopping in Burkina Faso
- Warnings and Dangers in Burkina Faso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso
- 44 Reviews
- 185 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Burkina Faso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burkina Faso
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Wrote a Review Tribal Masks in Burkina Faso Shopping
- updated a Burkina Faso Travel Page "Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages"
- Commented on one of hydronetta's Burkina Faso travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Crossing from Hamale, Ghana into Burkina Faso"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos