"Motherlode Town in Oregon" Jacksonville by atufft
Jacksonville Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 89 photos
Jacksonville, a town founded by miners when gold was discovered on Jackson Creek in 1851, is not unlike the best of the California motherlode towns, such as Nevada City, Sonora, or indeed, same name town, Jackson. During its heyday, Jacksonville had plenty of money to splurge on architecture, but the town has been off-the-beaten-path, very much in the shadow of nearby Ashland, and so the surge in tourism there has been relatively recent. The railway bypassed the city as early as 1884, stifling economic growth. As a result, Jacksonville has not been overly restored with concrete and asphalt, nor freeway bypass; rather, restoration efforts today are done with attention to retaining the original materials and architecture of all historic buildings. As a result, there is plenty for history buffs to see and do in town as some 100 buildings are listed as historic structures.
Britt Park, created by pioneer Peter Britt, sponsors a summer series of pop music festivals, and at the time I was there Dead Heads wearing tie dye clothing lined up to listen to Bob Weir, whom I happened to see smiling broadly as he climbed off the bus, delighted by the fresh air of the park. On a madrone forested hill opposite the hillside of Britt Park is a wonderful old pioneer cementary that is maintained as it was. Meanwhile, down in town the old courthouse, now a museum, stands tall over this quaint town.
Jacksonville has a family focus, and there are plenty of deer that will walk right into town. In addition to the cemetary and Britt Park, there are several other nature trails and city parks that cater not only to tourists but to the youth who live there.
Britt Gardens were originally created by photographer Peter Britt, whose home was on the 4.5 acre hillside parcel.... more travel advice
In the neighborhood of the courthouse, on the north side of California street are a scattered collection of homes,... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Jacksonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Motherlode Town in Oregon"
- "A trip into the past"
- "Home of the Britt Festival -- Jacksonville, OR"
- "Historic Jacksonville, Oregon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jacksonville
- Hotels in Jacksonville
- Transportation in Jacksonville
- Nightlife in Jacksonville
- Restaurants in Jacksonville
- Shopping in Jacksonville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jacksonville
- 17 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Jacksonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jacksonville
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Itinerary suggestions for 4..."
- Commented on one of carmenlilly's Jacksonville travel pages
- Wrote a Review Britt Gardens and Music Festival in Jacksonville Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Britt Gardens and Music Festival"
- updated a Jacksonville Travel Page "Motherlode Town in Oregon"
Photos in JacksonvilleSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos