"Hay Farming in the Middle of Nowhere" Christmas Valley by atufft
Christmas Valley Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
About 200 feet below the soil surface is bedrock. If a well rig drills through this, then there's a huge supply of water available. In this region of the Great Basin then, farmers have a chance to make a living with wells and special irrigation systems that create a huge circle of hay fields with the desert. Thus, Christmas Valley is a tiny town that's fairly spread out, along the route between OR Hwy 31 and OR 395. The crossroads of town has a gas station, a resort of some sort, and a grocery store. In the area around this is a scattered collection of mobile homes and other less than impressive residential homes. I was amused by seeing tomboy girls riding their horses along the county road.
About sixteen miles out of town are dunes that can be accessed by off-road vehicles. The preservation of these dunes, and nearby fossil lake are of some concern. See the tip for more information about this. I have no idea why the valley is named Christmas Valley although the sage brush and desert do resemble the Bible lands in a vague sort of way. Snow and ice do come here in winter, but in tiny amounts. This is a harsh environment in which to make a living.
I had to drive from Medford, OR east to Boise, ID. The original route called for driving OR Hwy 65 to north of Crater... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Christmas Valley Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Christmas Valley
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Christmas Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christmas Valley
- Posted in Travel San Juan Capistrano Forum "Re: moving to san juan capistrano"
- Wrote a Review From Rock Fort to Christmas Valley and Beyond in Christmas Valley Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Rock Fort to Christmas Valley and Beyond"
- created a Christmas Valley Travel Page "Hay Farming in the Middle of Nowhere"
Photos in Christmas ValleySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos