"Home of Clark Gable...and Charles Manson?" Cadiz by atufft
Cadiz Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
After dropping off frozen food at a Walmart Distribution center in Wintersville, Ohio, a tiny town near Steubenville, on the upper Ohio River and Pennsylvania border, I was forced by lack of restaurant facilities to move southwest late at night, descending from foothills on windy Highway 22, toward the junction at I-70 where I had a pick up the next afternoon. Just an hour or so west of Steubenville though, I stopped for the night in Cadiz, where I found a McDonald's. I hate the corp food, but they have free WIFI for my iPhone. I parked next to a flatbed truck also shutting down for the night. The driver wasn't an outsider though and when I inquired recommended that I walk into town for breakfast at Viki's near the courthouse. "Movie icon Clark Gable was born here, you know," he intimated with a smile, "and rumor has it that so was mass murderer Charles Manson." The old northwest states, and Ohio in particular, are known for producing famous people who never return to their hometown, but the idea that cult murderer was also born here was truely interesting...
A fellow driver and I braved 20F cold and a half mile walk through the snow to get to the courthouse and Viki's dinert. Vicki's turned out to be a windowless drap local joint, and we were the only customers at the time, except for an old man who sipped coffee refills in one corner near the kitchen. Three waitresses waited with arms folded, while Vicki, the wife of an attorney, gathered herself together and then left on some errands about the small town. The grilled fish sandwich on rye with tomato, lettuce, and mustard was surprisingly good, and so we began asking questions about Clark Gable and Charles Manson. The waitresses, the old man, and ourselves engaged in amusing conversation. There was some debate among the waitresses as to whether or not Charles Manson actually lived in the town, and among those who believed that he did, there was a dispute about which house he inhabited. Eventually, the old man volunteered to give my friend and I a ride back to our trucks, with a brief tour of town, past Gable's home, and past one or two of the houses that Manson may have once haunted.
The Presbyterian church is very strong in this corner of Ohio, and in Cadiz there is a fine example of late 19th century... more travel advice
Clark Gable was an icon of the 40's and 50's, particularly with his heroic role in the Civil War epoch film Gone With... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Cadiz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Clark Gable...and Charles Manson?"
- "Cadiz, Ohio 2003"
- "Harrison County Courthouse (Cadiz, Ohio)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cadiz
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Cadiz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cadiz
Photos in CadizSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos