"Home of Clark Gable...and Charles Manson?" Cadiz by atufft

Cadiz Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos

Hwy 22 from Steubenville through Harrison County

After dropping off frozen food at a Walmart Distribution center in Wintersville, Ohio, a tiny town near Steubenville, on the upper Ohio River and Pennsylvania border, I was forced by lack of restaurant facilities to move southwest late at night, descending from foothills on windy Highway 22, toward the junction at I-70 where I had a pick up the next afternoon. Just an hour or so west of Steubenville though, I stopped for the night in Cadiz, where I found a McDonald's. I hate the corp food, but they have free WIFI for my iPhone. I parked next to a flatbed truck also shutting down for the night. The driver wasn't an outsider though and when I inquired recommended that I walk into town for breakfast at Viki's near the courthouse. "Movie icon Clark Gable was born here, you know," he intimated with a smile, "and rumor has it that so was mass murderer Charles Manson." The old northwest states, and Ohio in particular, are known for producing famous people who never return to their hometown, but the idea that cult murderer was also born here was truely interesting...

Vicki's and Charles Manson

A fellow driver and I braved 20F cold and a half mile walk through the snow to get to the courthouse and Viki's dinert. Vicki's turned out to be a windowless drap local joint, and we were the only customers at the time, except for an old man who sipped coffee refills in one corner near the kitchen. Three waitresses waited with arms folded, while Vicki, the wife of an attorney, gathered herself together and then left on some errands about the small town. The grilled fish sandwich on rye with tomato, lettuce, and mustard was surprisingly good, and so we began asking questions about Clark Gable and Charles Manson. The waitresses, the old man, and ourselves engaged in amusing conversation. There was some debate among the waitresses as to whether or not Charles Manson actually lived in the town, and among those who believed that he did, there was a dispute about which house he inhabited. Eventually, the old man volunteered to give my friend and I a ride back to our trucks, with a brief tour of town, past Gable's home, and past one or two of the houses that Manson may have once haunted.

• Last visit to Cadiz: Jan 2009
  • Intro Written Feb 10, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM

What a history to have Clark Gable come from here and also a haunted house. Wow

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Alan, the diner sounds like a hundred similar restaurants where I grew up just 100 miles from here. You can always find friendly, talkative people in this part of rural America!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

A friend of mine did a similar thing in the 1960s -- hired on as a truck driver and saw America that way. I don't know if Walmart and McDonalds even existed at that time, but he told of places like Viki's diner and lots of small town courthouses.

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Clark Gable and Charles Manson - what a combination. The Harrison County Courthouse looks impressive.

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Cadiz