"The Last Great Gold Camp" Top 5 Page for this destination Goldfield by atufft
Goldfield Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 106 photos
I took the title of this page from the title of the Goldfield Historical Society pamphlet that can be found for free at the Goldfield public library. Prior to discovery of gold in Goldfield, silver mining at nearby Tonopah was already booming, a period of silver production that spanned between 1900 and 1940. Today, Tonopah is the larger town of the two small towns in western Nevada, roughly halfway between Reno and Las Vegas on route US 95. However, gold causes a maddness for wealth, a boom of commercial activity that created Goldfield. Today, Goldfield barely holds on as it is mostly a ghost town; however, between 1902 and 1910, with a peak in 1907 Goldfield grew to some 20,000 and became the most populous town in all Nevada. In 1923, a devastating fire destroyed much of the city, contributing to a decline that had already begun with the drop in gold production.
I was particularly interested in Goldfield because my great grandfather on my mother's side had been the craftsman who wallpapered and painted the interior of the Goldfield Hotel, by far the largest and most impressive building in town. The family story relates how champagne flowed down the hotel steps during its grand opening in 1907, and how my great grandfather shook the hand of President Theodore Roosevelt, who had come for the dedication ceremonies. Goldfield was a wealthy town that imported European treasures, even as the gold left for east coast banks. As a gift for my grandmother, my great grandfather purchased an authentic German made "Teddy Bear", which my grandmother passed on to my mother when she died.
Among those who lived for at least a little while in Goldfield was Charles Schwab, a gold mine investor after whom the famous San Francisco brokerage firm is named. Also, Virgil Earp, older brother of Wyatt, and most experienced lawman at the OK Corral shoot out in Tombstone finished his career in Goldfield. Virgil died of pneumonia in the Goldfield Hospital while his younger brother lived to tell the Hollywood tale so familiar now. Many other interesting historical anecdotes are available in the Goldfield Historical Society pamphlet, and among these tips that map out the lives of individuals through the dusty ruins of commercial buildings and residential homes. I hope you enjoy your visit to these pages, so that when you drive on through route US 95 between Carson Cit and Las Vegas, you take a moment to stop and look around Goldfield.
On the north side of town, across from the Public Library is a rambling cluster of weather beaten buildings that... more travel advice
The size of this building, and the vacant attempts to renovate it deserve more images. The backside includes an a/c... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Goldfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Last Great Gold Camp"
- "The Goldfield Hotel"
- "Goldfield - Nevada"
- "GOLDFIELD - BOOM AND BUST"
- "Goldfield (Population 400)"
- "Interesting Pit Stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goldfield
- Hotels in Goldfield
- Transportation in Goldfield
- Restaurants in Goldfield
- Shopping in Goldfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goldfield
- 28 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Goldfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goldfield
Photos in GoldfieldSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos