"Navajo Shopping on Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Gallup by atufft

Gallup Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 99 photos

Well Preserved Route 66 Downtown

We didn't have but a few minutes to explore the town, so this is certainly not the last word. But, at first blush Gallup reveals itself to be one of the few Route 66 towns in New Mexico that is generally intact at the downtown strip. The Navajo shops and old buildings make it a good base for jewelry shopping and Indian reservation exploration.

Gallup has native owned shops

While many of the roadside vendors sell silver and torquoise, most sell at prices far above the real market value. Forget the so-called discounts. Stop in Gallup and look around.

• Pros:Great Route 66 center for Navajo Art Shopping
  • Cons:Still a ways east of Navajo Reservations
  • In a nutshell:Gallup is worth the stop for the shopping at reasonable prices
  • Last visit to Gallup: Jan 2006
  • Intro Written Jan 5, 2006

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

One day I certainly hope to return to this part of the world! I never made it as far as Gallup but I did get to the Blue Mountain area west of Grants - it has a post office, two churches, and a number of abandoned hotels. I'm glad to see that Gallup has a surviving route 66 downtown that actually survives and is active rather than the abandoned buildings seen on so much of route 66.

• Oct 15, 2011 at 5:09 AM

What I love this shopping center is you can shop directly at an American Indian trading post.This is one of few trading posts that retains an old-time flavor.There is also gallup hotels that you can stop by for your refreshment.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Looking forward to going here in November! Gillybob greetings

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I love Native Craft Stores (after Military stores, specially Russian memorabilia)...they're fun to buy stuff from...Norman :)

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Looks like this is the place to go for Native American artwork.

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 10:59 PM

manhattan transfer is ringing in my ear right now!

• Mar 9, 2006 at 5:01 PM

I have been through New Mexico several times passing through to Oklahoma and I like NM the best because my mother and I really enjoy the Native American aspect it. It is a beautiful state, yet has extreme weather conditions!

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Gallup