"Navajo Shopping on Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Gallup by atufft
Gallup Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 99 photos
We didn't have but a few minutes to explore the town, so this is certainly not the last word. But, at first blush Gallup reveals itself to be one of the few Route 66 towns in New Mexico that is generally intact at the downtown strip. The Navajo shops and old buildings make it a good base for jewelry shopping and Indian reservation exploration.
While many of the roadside vendors sell silver and torquoise, most sell at prices far above the real market value. Forget the so-called discounts. Stop in Gallup and look around.
- Pros:Great Route 66 center for Navajo Art Shopping
- Cons:Still a ways east of Navajo Reservations
- In a nutshell:Gallup is worth the stop for the shopping at reasonable prices
The flea market is an open air space of dirt north of town where vendors gather every Saturday. The collections jewelry,... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Gallup Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GALLUP - LAND OF THE NAVAJO"
- "My Adventures in Gallup and "Indian Country""
- "Vast World of Native Culture & Natural Beauty"
- "Navajo Shopping on Route 66"
- "Gallup, New Mexico"
- "New Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gallup
- Hotels in Gallup
- Nightlife in Gallup
- Restaurants in Gallup
- Shopping in Gallup
- Warnings and Dangers in Gallup
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gallup
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Gallup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gallup
Photos in GallupSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos