"Granite State Capitol" Concord by atufft
Concord Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 97 photos
New Hampshire claims to have the longest continuously used Legislative Capitol Chambers, and it is around the granite capitol building with gold leaf dome that the small town thrives. In addition to the capitol building, there are a variety of nearby government and church buildings also primarily built of or clad in the granite stone that is quarried within the region. There are though few urban amenities here as restaurantuer complained to me that the town is 70,000 state workers during the day, but only 30,000 residents at night.
In contrast to the capitol buildings, much of the nineteenth century commercial strip along Main street are conventional brick buildings. Thus, the focus of Concord is within the residential neighborhoods where there are many charming woodframed homes, particularly on the hilltops west of the capitol dome. Concord is an hour and a half away from Boston, and just three hours from Montreal, and so the town is a retreat from these urban centers. Kayaking, cycling, fishing, hunting, and fishing are popular pastimes in this region. These images, taken during an overcast Labor Day (in September), were part of a one day cycling expedition away from my big rig truck.
On the west side of the capitol building, in front of the legislative office building, there is a memorial for those... more travel advice
In August of 1746, which is very early in the colonial settlement of New Hampshire, Samuel and Jonathan Bradley, and... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Concord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The capitol of New Hampshire"
- "Granite State Capitol"
- "Concord, Capital of New Hampshire"
- "luciano's new Concord Page"
- "marca's new Concord Page"
- "Concord, a picturesque New Hampshire town"
- "frankcanfly's Concord Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concord
- 12 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Concord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concord
Photos in ConcordSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos