"First Home of Impressionist Painter Robert Henri" Cozad by atufft
Cozad Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 61 photos
Robert Henri's father, John Jackson Cozad, choose this location specifically for the purpose of real estate speculation through founding of the town that bears his name. Thus, although Robert Henri wasn't born here, this was home for Henri's teenage years. The family home remains as a museum devoted to Robert Henri, but includes in it architectural features of town pioneering in which John Cozad engaged. The town itself is little more than another silo town with a non-descript downtown, but a stop at the Robert Henri museum and brief walk downtown is well worth the time spent.
Born Robert Henry Cozad, Henri changed his name following his father's entanglement with the pistol shooting death of a competing cattle rancher during his teenage years. The whole family escaped to Denver and assummed new identities. Thus, Robert Henri (pronounced Hen-rye) is the assumed name for one of America's most famous impressionist portrait painters. He is famous as a popular art teacher and founder of the Ashcan School. Henri is also known for having participated with Sloan at Sante Fe "Taos School".
Since the museum is close to the center of Cozad, it's worthwhile taking a short walk along 8th Street and Main Street.... more travel advice
There are some clothes and other items that belong to Henri's mother or relatives who have donated them to the museum.... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Cozad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "First Home of Impressionist Painter Robert Henri"
- "COZAD, NEBRASKA"
- "100th Meridian City"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cozad
- 9 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Cozad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cozad
Photos in CozadSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos