"Underappreciated County Seat of Cass County" Harrisonville by atufft
Harrisonville Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 69 photos
Having about 9,000 residents, Harrisonville has been the county seat of Cass County since 1849. Southern Missouri is of particular historical interest because of it's involvement in the Missouri Compromise and the American Civil War. Although north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and so not normally considered part of the south, Missouri was admitted to the Union as a slave state based on a compromise that the state of Maine would be simultaneously admitted as a free state. During the civil war, Missouri quickly joined the Union as a way to avoid the carnage of war, but southern sympathizers in Harrisonville attracted the wrath of Union army forces who forceably evicted town residents and then took all hay, grains, and other resources of valuable to the army.
After the war, the town recovered and built a substantial downtown of brick buildings and brick paved streets that today are for the most part vacant and underappreciated as historical treasures today. A local businessman has found the wisdom of purchasing for renovation much of commercial downtown buildings, but the town has yet to remake itself into a place where adults would like to hang out for lunch or dinner, or at night. Some buildings in the downtown are still being used as the government buildings. During my few hours in town, I wandered around shooting pictures not only the fine old downtown, but also several blocks of fine old homes. These are presented for you appreciation here, as well as a review of a decent place to eat in town.
I had to park my truck at the Walmart and then walk about a mile into town. While the focus by most Harrisonville residents is upon the newer shopping and residential track neighborhoods away from downtown, there is an energetic effort by some residents to restore old homes in the historic center.
Unfortunately, I lost the pedigree information on this restored gem that's just outside the main square of... more travel advice
The south Missouri region of Harrisonville is something of a boom and bust area because there are lots of vacant... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Harrisonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Underappreciated County Seat of Cass County"
- "Nice little town on the plains"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harrisonville
- 16 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Harrisonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harrisonville
Photos in HarrisonvilleSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos