"July 4th in Mark Twain's Childhood Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Hannibal by atufft
Hannibal Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 162 photos
Hannibal, Missouri is a little more than 100 miles upstream from St. Louis, on the west side of the Mississippi River where Bear Creek cuts through a dramatic gorge as it flows into the great river. Bear Creek was originally named by a Spanish Surveyor as "Hannibal", and thus the origins of the town's name. The town has considerable history both as a river port and railroad town. The downtown has a large inventory of 19th century commercial brick architecture worth the visit, but is clearly most famous as the hometown of Mark Twain, arguably America's greatest writer. There is a substantial museum dedicated to the inventor of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, and the town sponsors Mark Twain Day's on 4th of July weekend which includes activities Twain's boyhood characters would easily enjoy.
Visitors to Hannibal learn quickly that Mark Twain (whose actual name was Samuel Clemens) is not just another famous... more travel advice
Central to the skyline of Hannibal is the Hotel Mark Twain. I didn't have a chance to walk into lobby and learn more,... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Hannibal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life on the Mississippi"
- "Basaic Hannibal Page"
- "Tom and Huck"
- "Hometown of Homespun Mark Twain"
- "July 4th in Mark Twain's Childhood Town"
- "asturnut's Hannibal Page"
- "Still Like the Old Days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hannibal
- Hotels in Hannibal
- Transportation in Hannibal
- Nightlife in Hannibal
- Restaurants in Hannibal
- Shopping in Hannibal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hannibal
- 10 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Hannibal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hannibal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos